Need better efficiency. How??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutine Bullfrog

Bullfrog Brewers
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my first all grain and all seemed to go well although my efficiency only calculated to about 50%. The brew was the 777 Rye IPA. Gravity was calculated at 1.071 and I only got 1.054. Any suggestion on how to raise that. I didn’t mix the mash much. Could that help? Mash was 149D for 70 minutes.

Thanks

We'll need more details about your process.

Water volume used to mash...
Sparge volume and technique (batch or fly)...
Quick breakdown of your equipment...

That's a big recipe for your first AG. I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case is you have a nice session rye. (Not sure you can mix the terms "session" and "IPA" though) :D

BierMuncher said:
We'll need more details about your process.

Water volume used to mash...
Sparge volume and technique (batch or fly)...
Quick breakdown of your equipment...

That's a big recipe for your first AG. I wouldn't sweat it. Worst case is you have a nice session rye. (Not sure you can mix the terms "session" and "IPA" though) :D

Sorry

5 gallons to mash (as per the "Joy Of Brewing" 1.5 quarts per lbs of grain)
2.5 gallons to Batch sparge
10 gallow Igloo and two S/S brew pots heated on the stove. sparge water was 165d and mash water was 149d as per the recipe.

Thanks,

well #1 way ive heard of people raising their efficiency while keeping the same methods and process is getting your own mill

*and now that i read your second post. well swap your sparge and mash water around

2.5-3 gallons for mash and 5-6 for sparge

Chimone said:
well #1 way ive heard of people raising their efficiency while keeping the same methods and process is getting your own mill

*and now that i read your second post. well swap your sparge and mash water around

2.5-3 gallons for mash and 5-6 for sparge

Really? All the books say 1.5 to 2 quarts per pound.

Got the grains from Austin Homebrew all ready cracked.

I use 1.25 qts/lb usually. Sometimes more. But never 1.5-2. What books you talking about?

You can increase your efficiency by stirring your mash more...especially during sparging. Pour the sparge water in, and stir constantly for ten minutes before you drain it.

You can also try a stepped mash. That usually gives me good results.

I think you want to sparge with about twice the amount of water used to mash.
Every thing I've read is to mash with 1-2 quarts per pound while most reports I have seen seem to be near 1.25quarts/pound.
Also was your mash temp 149F or was that your mash water. You will need considerably warmer water to get your mash temp to 149F. Same with your sparge water. You probably need about 165F mash water and about 180F sparge water.
How long was your mash? My understanding is that low temp mashes take a lot longer than high temp mashes.
My first AG got about a 75% efficiency using a batch sparge. But I mashed at ~153F and drained then did two additional sparges.
Craig

CBBaron said:
I think you want to sparge with about twice the amount of water used to mash.
Every thing I've read is to mash with 1-2 quarts per pound while most reports I have seen seem to be near 1.25quarts/pound.
Also was your mash temp 149F or was that your mash water. You will need considerably warmer water to get your mash temp to 149F. Same with your sparge water. You probably need about 165F mash water and about 180F sparge water.
How long was your mash? My understanding is that low temp mashes take a lot longer than high temp mashes.
My first AG got about a 75% efficiency using a batch sparge. But I mashed at ~153F and drained then did two additional sparges.
Craig

Mash Temp was 149 for 70 minutes as per the recipe.

John Palmer's "How to Brew" page 201 "...At a water to grain ratio of 2 quarts per pound..."

I agree.

* Less mash water and stir it around to mix it and help release the sugars.
* Make sure your mash temp and not water temp is at the 149. (I usually mash at 153)
* Might raise your sparge temp to around 170-175. The hotter water will dissolve the sugars and make them flow easier.
* More sparge water.

You likely had good starch conversion after 70 minutes, but you probably left a good amount of the sugars behind, "stuck" to the hulls. More sparge water would have pulled that off.

Congrats on your first AG brew. It'll taste great.

Back