Need an experienced brewers opinion, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labradork

Reaction score
First off, I want to thank all the folks on this forum who have shared their experience and wisdom with me these last couple of years. I started to brew soon after SWMBO gave me Charlie Papazians book two Christmases ago and aside from the occasional beersplosion it's been extremely rewarding. You all have been the key to my enjoyment and success in this hobby.

I recently switched over to all-grain brewing, have remodeled the house so as to give me a dedicated area for brewing, and am really getting the process down. It still seems like every new recipe I do requires learning a new technique. The last beer I brewed is the Strong Scotch Ale seen below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/strong-scotch-ale-153797/

It required a single decoction, which I had never done before, but it seemed to go smoothly. The only issue was that with the time spent doing the decoction, the total mash time ended up at closer to 120 minutes, rather than 90, with the bulk of that holding the mash at 149 degrees. I used a thinner mash, about 1.5 quarts/lb of grain, as I had had problems with lower efficiency before. I also had less boil-off than I had expected, and so ended up at 7 gallons instead of the expected 5.5 - 6. That being said, my OG was only slightly low, at 1.072 (for 7 gallons), not the target 1.074 (for 5.5 - 6). Clearly I sucked the sugars right out of that grain.

I pitched a Notty starter and tucked it away in a 65 degree closet in the brewery. The fermentation took off and raised the temp up to 72 briefly, but I cooled it down via water-bath, wet-towel, and fan and maintained it at about 65 for the primary. Very vigorous fermentation.

So, flash forward 9 days and I rack this beer to secondary and check the SG. The target for this recipe is 1.018 after the 60 day secondary. I am sitting, right now after primary fermentation, at 1.005. The flavor's not bad, a little woody, but drinkable. Now I expected to come in a bit low due to the longer, cooler, mash, and I suppose the brief higher-temp fermentation could be partly responsible as well, but I didn't expect it to be anywhere this low.

Questions: Have I diagnosed the cause of this FG overshooting correctly, and how do I keep this from happening again?

Should I add some Maltodextrine? If so how much? To bring it up to the target of 1.018 would require about 2 lbs. Would that much maltodextrine in six gallons turn the beer into beer-flavored Kool-Aid?

When faced with too much wort after boiling, is the answer just to keep boiling? Is there any harm in boiling for 90 minutes when the recipe says 60? I keep my hops in hop-socks so I can yank them out after 60 minutes and continue the boil.

Any other advice or wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Labradork

Mashing too cool and too long increases fermentability, so likely you have nailed your issue on the head.

I would be terrified of adding 2lbs of maltodextrine. I think it is normally added about 4oz at a time.

Boiloff is something you will need to figure out. Then work backward to determine how much to mash to figure out how much to put into the kettle. If your pre-boil gravity is low, you will need to sparge more to get more sugar. When this increases your kettle volume, you will need to boil off the extra BEFORE adding hops. AFAIK, pulling the hop bag will not stop the previously extracted oils from isomerizing further (reactions don't stop when solids are removed).

But I could be wrong.

You're being way too hard on yourself! You are correct on your guess that the gravity was high due to the lower temp and longer mash. However, I would definitely not back sweeten to meet your target gravity. Recipes are guidelines; you're not always going to hit your gravity exactly like the recipe called for, for many reasons.

In the end, you're talking about a difference of .013 points, which ABV-wise, is 1.7% off from your target. The "woody" flavor will fade fast with age.

I'd age a Scotch ale anywhere from 3-6 months before drinking. I think it'll be a great beer!

RDWHAHB!

Back