Need advice on Dortmunder recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David

Reaction score
Does this look like a good Dortmunder recipe? It should be within BJCP style guidelines. Also, which White Labs yeast would be most authentic?

5 gallon batch

Grains
0.50 lbs Pilsner Malt
0.25 lbs Light Munich Malt

Extracts
3.3 lbs Light Malt Extract
3.0 lbs Dry Light Malt Extract

Hops
1 oz Hallertau (60 min)
1 oz Hallertau (15 min)

Yeast
German Lager Yeast (White Labs 830 German Lager or 838 South German Lager)

Style Guidelines:
OG: 1.048 – 1.056
IBUs: 23 – 30
FG: 1.010 – 1.015
SRM: 4 – 6
ABV: 4.8 – 6.0%

Are you planning on mashing 3/4# of malt? I don't think steeping Pils and Munich is going to do the trick.

I'd recommend a partial mash with 2# each Pils and Munich, or more if you can. Add the balance of sugars with a light extract.

WL830 should be good for Dortmunder.

Are you planning on mashing 3/4# of malt? I don't think steeping Pils and Munich is going to do the trick.

I'd recommend a partial mash with 2# each Pils and Munich, or more if you can. Add the balance of sugars with a light extract.

WL830 should be good for Dortmunder.

Thanks for the advice. So let's say I increase the Pils and Munich to 2 lbs each - how much Liquid and/or Dry Extract should I put in?

If you get 70% efficiency from your 4# partial mash:
Assuming 42 ppg for DME, you'd need 3.7# to hit 1.052.
Assuming 36 ppg for LME, you'd need 4.3# to hit 1.052

Palmer's "How to Brew" is great resource for these sorts of calculations - http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html
You can also use one of the many beer programs, such as BeerSmith or ProMash.

As for your hops, you don't list the AA of the Hallertau. If it is 4%, you might want to bump up the 60 min hops to 1.4 oz. If you're using a 2 ounce bag, just use the 0.6 oz remainder for the 15 min addition.

If you get 70% efficiency from your 4# partial mash:
Assuming 42 ppg for DME, you'd need 3.7# to hit 1.052.
Assuming 36 ppg for LME, you'd need 4.3# to hit 1.052

Palmer's "How to Brew" is great resource for these sorts of calculations - http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter3-4.html
You can also use one of the many beer programs, such as BeerSmith or ProMash.

As for your hops, you don't list the AA of the Hallertau. If it is 4%, you might want to bump up the 60 min hops to 1.4 oz. If you're using a 2 ounce bag, just use the 0.6 oz remainder for the 15 min addition.

Thanks - I do have How to Brew and I go to websites such as beertools but I'm still learning and haven't really figured out all the calculations yet.

I'm not even sure what kind of Hallertau it will be - this recipe will eventually be used at my local BOP, which is also why I haven't had to deal with calculating ingredients, temperatures, etc. They just have hop pellets labeled "Hallertau" and it doesn't specify the type or AA%. I'll ask them when I go there tomorrow.

Since it is a BOP, what we do is steep the grains in the kettle for a while, so there's no separate mashing done. Is that considered partial mash? Still, I don't understand why my amounts were so low since I used other 5 gallon Dortmunder extract recipes to formulate this one (from beertools, hbd.org, etc)

I'll modify the hop amounts if need be but based on your suggestions, the recipe would look something like this:

5 gallon batch

Grains
2 lbs Pilsner
2 lbs Munich

Extract
4.3 lbs Liquid Light Malt Extract
3.7 lbs Dry Light Malt Extract

Hops (assuming the Hallertau is about 4% AA)
1.4 oz Hallertau pellets (60 min)
0.6 oz Hallertau pellets (15 min)

Yeast
White Labs 830 German Lager

Back