Need advice now! Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
So today was my first brew with my new setup a 1bbl electric BIAB. Pot and mesh basket I believe the basket is 400 micron mesh. Two 5500 watts elements controlled by a hosehead.

I'm brewing a 27 gallon batch since it's my first time using the system and I'm inside so I wanted extra room in case of boil over.

Grain bill was 56lbs. I did full volume mash so 31.5 gallons of water in the kettle. Being new to everything I overshot my mash temp, long story, got it where it needed to be. But now mash is over I have the basket out of the water and it's not draining very fast if much at all. I'm definitely not anywhere near the 28.5 gallons pre boil volume the BIAB calculator said???

What do I do?

Assuming that the basket suspends over the kettle and slowly drains to the kettle, I would add sparge water a littl at a time to further rinse the grains and get to full water volume. But I've never brewed on your system so ???

I've only got the one kettle so no way to heat water to sparge. I think my temps got too high. I'm going to try to to save it but if I can't and it at least ferments but it's not good beer I can use it for something else.

Just not my night when I went to transfer wort for whatever reason my CFC doesn't have garden hose fittings for the cold and hot water. Grrrrrrr why???? Never noticed it before I just assumed they were. Well the first time on a new system is always a learning experience but I wish I didn't get so many lessons this time

I've only got the one kettle so no way to heat water to sparge. I think my temps got too high. I'm going to try to to save it but if I can't and it at least ferments but it's not good beer I can use it for something else.

It's a little late for this batch but you don't need hot water for sparging. Cool water works with nearly the same efficiency. The mass of grains is so large and so hot that it will heat your cool sparge water to quite a bit higher temperature.

Back