Need a Vet's opinion on bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolemite78

Reaction score
So I'm bottling my Autumn Amber Ale right now, however I have ran out of bottles, caps, and growlers to fill. I have 6 of the larger Mr. Beer plastic bottles w/ twist on caps available however they previously housed a Lacto-infected Coconut Stout. I tried it one last time today and it was straight up nasty, so I dumped the last of the batch out.

I am currently running the bottles and caps through the dishwasher without detergent, then will soak them both in StarSan or the like for a little bit. Am I running any risk by using these bottles? Should I just wait to bottle the last gallon (already in my capped bottling bucket) until my caps arrive on Tue/Wed of next week. I'll have enough bottles considering I am having a BBQ tonight and enjoying some of my Green Chile brew that is just now ready.

Thanks for the advice. I kind of assumed that would be the answer. Do I run any risk letting it set in the 5 gallon bottling bucket (capped) for 3-4 days? Not sure what I'll do. I did manage to find one last growler hanging out in my garage that I am sanitizing now, so that only leaves me a half gallon. I may risk it only because it's a minimal loss of 4 pints +/-. I also have a few bottles with caps that have been used and opened before. The caps aren't creased and I may squeeze them on and attempt to re-cap. Not something I would ideally do, just miscounted my dwindling supplies. Considering they are at risk already this might not be the worst option. Thoughts?

Thanks for the advice. I kind of assumed that would be the answer. Do I run any risk letting it set in the 5 gallon bottling bucket (capped) for 3-4 days? Not sure what I'll do. I did manage to find one last growler hanging out in my garage that I am sanitizing now, so that only leaves me a half gallon. I may risk it only because it's a minimal loss of 4 pints +/-. I also have a few bottles with caps that have been used and opened before. The caps aren't creased and I may squeeze them on and attempt to re-cap. Not something I would ideally do, just miscounted my dwindling supplies. Considering they are at risk already this might not be the worst option. Thoughts?

Not too much of a risk, but you have to let it sit longer than 4 days or so. The priming sugar you added has to ferment out so you can reprime and bottle.

Do you have any soda bottles? Especially "light" colored sodas, like Sprite? Not root beer, of course, but any other soda bottles? That would work great. Worst case scenario- go buy two 2 liter bottles of cheap soda and dump them and bottle your precious beer!

Actually SWIMBO just returned from the store with a bunch of mixers in qt sized plastic bottles. Will just clean and sanitize them as they become empty. Thanks for the input.

Back