Necessity,or rather laziness in my case is the mother of all inventions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nostrildamus

Reaction score
Necessity,or rather laziness in my case is the mother of all inventions. You see, I left my carboys with cleaning solution in them for two weeks and they just sat there festering in my brew shed uncleaned, unseen and unloved. Today I bucked up and went to clean them but that yeast line from the high kraeusen would not budge and my carboy brush just wouldn't reach it at such an angle especially in my 6 gallon.

What was I too do?

Then it hit me. I took my bottle brush and sacrificed it to the cleaning gods, removing the looped end and then wrapping that end in tape. I jammed that sucker into my high speed drill and tightened it down. I then made a bend right above the brush portion at about 70 degrees and then a second bend 2/3rds of the way along the brush portion to match the contour of the carboy top. I fired up my drill at a slow speed and saw the muck which was stuck to the inside of the carboy disappearing. If slow speed was good, surely high speed would be great! I fired it up and saw yeast erased from the glass at record speed.

This thing is magical and makes clean up ultra-quick and easy. I'm sure I'm not the first one to come up with this but there's no going back for me now!

If you had left them full of oxyclean, they would have been sparkling and clean when you came back to them, no elbow grease required. (But great idea!!)

If you had left them full of oxyclean, they would have been sparkling and clean when you came back to them, no elbow grease required. (But great idea!!)

Yep, Oxyclean is the shizz. It's to bad that guy that yells at the camera advertises it. As soon as I see him advertise for anything, I immediately think BS.

Mike

My last stout had the mother of all encrusted krausen rings (3 weeks in the primary and then a hot day or two after I rinsed out the yeast) and a week in oxyclean made it sparkle with no effort on my part.

Back