necessity of a dehumidifier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I noticed that a lot of people use a dehumidifier in their ferm chambers and I was wondering how necessary this addition really is.

Im going the common route of a chest freezer and an stc 1000 but i hadn't thought of mold being an issue. If anyone could advise on this, I would be very grateful.

Also, if it is necessary, does anyone have any experience with any? i searched the forums for it and there were some suggestions but the threads were a few years old

Thanks!

The problem is the moisture build up.

If you mod the chest freezer, just make sure every thing is looked at so you don't have any leaks.

You will still have moisture i would think but it should be minimal.

Just use some cat litter or the like in a container or a pre made type of desiccant.

anyone have any experience with this little guy?

Eva-dry Renewable E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifer

never mind.

getting this little guy. cheaper and lasts longer

gurin DHMD-110 Renewable Wireless Dehumidifier, Mini

I use DampRid in my ferm chamber chest freezer. There's still moisture, but it seems to get it back under control once fermentation backs off. You can find it at home depot, lowes, walmart, etc.

Back