Necessary to cold crash a klosch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photobrew

Reaction score
I'm looking to see if I should try a rudimentary attempt at cold crashing a klosch I am considering brewing. I have seen it in relation to kegging, but I'm bottling...it just seems like it's easier with kegging, IMO.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, a side note is that I don't have the space to put a carboy or bucket in a fridge. So it would be EXTREMELY rudimentary.

Kolsch yeast is notorious for being low flocculanting. That's why commercially, it is filtered.

If you can't filter or cold crash, use Irish moss or whirfloc. I've not made a Kolsch but I have used Kolsch yeast in other beers along with Irish moss and had good results.

I always use whirlfloc and cold crash. They come out crystal clear and are a summer favorite by everyone who has it. The longer you can cold condition it (Lager) at around 34F, the better it will be. Last year, I had one in cold storage for 6 months before tapping and it was great.

I've tried cold crashing and not cold crashing on my first few Kolsch recipes I wrote, the cold crashed one was slightly better but not by much. Gonna try lagering half this next batch and comparing the results.

Since you are bottling and can't cold-crash the primary vessel, I think your best bet is to wait until after your bottles have carbed up (~3 weeks after bottling) and stick them in the fridge for as long as you can stand to wait.

Irish moss or whirlfloc will do a lot to help, but the biggest issue with kolsches (imho) are the low-flocc yeast. Lagering it in the bottle for an extended period of time should help that a lot.

Back