NE Style IPA - Recipe Check

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixwinds

Reaction score
Hi, I'm working on a recipe for a NE style IPA. I've done several different combos in the past and I'm now looking at something like this:

Maris Otter 14lb (81%)
Victory 1lb (5.8%)
Flaked Barley 0.7lb (4.1%)
Flaked Oats 1.5lb (8.7%)

Total 17.2lb

Citra 5oz at flameout - whirlpool for 20min starting at 200F.

Citra 1oz dry hop after 5 days of fermentation.

Citra 1oz dry hop after 10 days of fermentation.

Total fermentation time is about 2 weeks.

I plan on using S-05 for a clean yeast profile.

5.5 Gallon batch done on a propane burner and using BIAB.

I know my dry hop amount is a bit low, but I'm open to any suggestions or critiques of this recipe.

I'm looking for a solid NE style IPA that is more on the juicy/tropical side than pine/tar and I don't want a ton of malt presence to overtake the hops. Don't really care about haze, I just want it to taste good!

I honestly think you're pretty far off. Your hops are not even close to being enough. If you want a good NE IPA, try a something like this:

Grain Bill:
2-Row - 73%
Dextrose - 4.2%
White Wheat - 8.5%
Flaked Oats - 8.5%
Crystal 10/15/20 (pick one) 2.8%
Carapils - 2.8%

Hops:
Small bittering charge to get around 35 IBU's
Large whirlpool steeped for 30 or so minutes at 170 degree. Around 4 ounces minimum.
Large dry hop for 5 days, around 6-8 ounces of hops.

Yeast: Use something like WP007, Imperials Barbarian or Dryhop Yeasts

Hi, I'm working on a recipe for a NE style IPA. I've done several different combos in the past and I'm now looking at something like this:

Maris Otter 14lb (81%)
Victory 1lb (5.8%)
Flaked Barley 0.7lb (4.1%)
Flaked Oats 1.5lb (8.7%)

Total 17.2lb

Citra 5oz at flameout - whirlpool for 20min starting at 200F.

Citra 1oz dry hop after 5 days of fermentation.

Citra 1oz dry hop after 10 days of fermentation.

Total fermentation time is about 2 weeks.

I plan on using S-05 for a clean yeast profile.

5.5 Gallon batch done on a propane burner and using BIAB.

I know my dry hop amount is a bit low, but I'm open to any suggestions or critiques of this recipe.

I'm looking for a solid NE style IPA that is more on the juicy/tropical side than pine/tar and I don't want a ton of malt presence to overtake the hops. Don't really care about haze, I just want it to taste good!

I typically do a small bittering charge at 60 then everything else at flameout and whirlpool. Technically your way could work but i'd probably add them at flameout instead of 200F to get a few more IBUs. Dry hop amount is WAY low, need at least 6 ounces. For yeast, I usually use Wyeast 1318 or Imperial Barbarian.

Here's my grain bill for reference:

2-Row (41.4%)
Maris Otter (41.4%)
Flaked Wheat (9.4%)
Flaked Barley (3.8%)
White Wheat (3.8%)
Honey Malt (.3%)

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to add more hops - about 12oz in total, and possibly a different yeast. Going to keep the grain bill the same - I used to use crystal in my IPAs but have gotten away from that recently, and the flaked barley should do the same thing as carapils.

For yeast, WY1968 or WLP051 work wonderfully. Just set temp at 64-65 for the first four or five days then jack to 70 to clean up the last few days. Starting to use these as my go to strains

I'd be interested to see how us-05 does in one of these beers though...

Below you will find my standard NE IPA recipe. You can fool around with it to add some variety, but this will give you a solid....TH Hophands or Treehouse Julius beer. Trust me, this is a great recipe..this is the product of too many to count trials.

I use bottled spring water. I add 1 tsp gypsum, 1/2 tsp CaCl to 5 gal mash water.

8# 2-row (pale)
4# oat malt (double crush/mill)
-mash @151 x 60 min

60min- 1oz. Columbus
10min- 1/2 whirlfloc tab, 10oz table
sugar, yeast nutrient of
choice
Omin (170 degrees) 4oz simcoe,
2oz centennial, 2 oz Amarillo

Yeast: Vermont Ale (the yeast bay)
Big starter

Dry hop: 3oz simcoe, 3oz cent, 3oz amarillo

I've never heard of oat malt, and Google apparently is not my friend. What is this malted oats that you speak of?

I've never heard of oat malt, and Google apparently is not my friend. What is this malted oats that you speak of?

Oat malt definitely exists. A friend of mine just brewed an NEIPA with oat malt last weekend. The oat malt tastes... oaty. And it's a pain to deal with when crushing. The husks are large and very tough, while the kernels inside are smaller than barley, so you really do need to set the mill gap carefully and fiddle to get the husks through AND the insides crushed. It's a delicate balance. Double crush is probably best. Bottom line, based on what I saw in the milling process, and being the lazy guy that I am, I'm less likely to try oat malt in my own recipes in future. I was thinking about it, but it might not be worth the trouble. On the other hand, if you want to guarantee a hazy NEIPA, the wort was indeed super hazy.

I just crush the oat malt separately, and twice. It literally takes me an extra five minutes. In terms of what it does to a beer...when coupled with "Conan" or Vermont Ale yeast or London Ale III, is it gives you a super smooth mouthfeel. I use it in my oatmeal stout as well. It's really unmatched for mouthfeel when compared to flaked oats. Also, 20% or more of flaked in your grist is brutal to lauter...even with rice hulls. The oat malt has a really thick hull which makes lautering super fast.
I ordered a large sack from my LHBS. Only Thomas fawcett makes it. I use a ton of this stuff.

Latest posts

Back