NBC interview from WH kitchen...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happywanderer

Reaction score
An interview is on now with the president in the WH kitchen. Two fermenters are in the background filled with beer fermenting away...in bright light...in a hot kitchen....

No!!!!!!

Mr President, but those in a fermchamber!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I thought it was awesome! Two 6.5 gallon carboys with nice krausens bubbling away! Loved that Obama signed off from the interview with "Cheers". Didn't like the interviewer trying to ask "gotcha" about the economy even though this was supposed to be a fun superbowl interview plus she barely even tasted the beer. :confused: The President of the United States is offering you a homebrew lady - the least you could do is try it!

President Obama seems like he would be a genuinely awesome guy to hang out with - I'd love to share a beer with him :tank:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that those carboys were hauled out of a proper fermentation location just for that photo shoot.
I look forward to all the minions who will become new home brewers and who will without a doubt be the very best home brewers EVER.
:pipe:

Very cool, except the part where Savannah was supposed to taste the beer. She couldn't even have wet her tongue with the little motion she managed. Gees, they tasted the Honey Ale. Isn't it rude to refuse one's host like that? Especially the frekin President of the United States!!!

Obama tasted it and then commented "That's tasty beer!".

Nothing else he's done in years has given me so much satisfaction with the office.

Here are some shots - couldn't resist...

20150201_164122_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150201_164112_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150201_164115_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150201_164125_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150201_164158_Flicker Ln.jpg

20150201_164303_Flicker Ln.jpg

I'm not sure how this is supposed to affect me and my home brewing adventures. but really I didn't watch nor am I going to. some politician said some blah blah blah about ppbpbpbbtbtbtbtbtbbt!

Seriously? The President of the United States hoisting a homebrew on THE most watched television of the year - estimated at over 100 million viewers.

I'm pretty sure this will serve to legitimize homebrewing to the great unwashed population in a way that nothing else really could. Whole industries have been launched on a lot less.

Seriously? The President of the United States hoisting a homebrew on THE most watched television of the year - estimated at over 100 million viewers.

I'm pretty sure this will serve to legitimize homebrewing to the great unwashed population in a way that nothing else really could. Whole industries have been launched on a lot less.

I still don't see how this is going to affect me and my home brewing adventures. am I going to get vouchers in the mail for $300 worth of home brewing supplies? will people applaud me in the street or shake my hand at school functions? will people talk to me less like I'm a strange drunk and more like a home town hero? is it going to make me a better home brewer?

I still don't see how this is going to affect me and my home brewing adventures. am I going to get vouchers in the mail for $300 worth of home brewing supplies? will people applaud me in the street or shake my hand at school functions? will people talk to me less like I'm a strange drunk and more like a home town hero? is it going to make me a better home brewer?

Probably more the home town hero thing I'm guessing...

"Billy-Klubb FOR PRESIDENT"

Are these the Nazis, Walter? No, Donny, these men are nihilists. There's nothing to be afraid of.

:D

Sheesh. This wasn't about politics...it was about beer fermenting in uncontrolled circumstances.

And yes...that lady didn't even take a real sip. What a poser. I'll drink my Honey Irish Red Ale now in honor of beer everywhere.

Guthrie: "We are in the Whitehouse kitchen where, among other things, you brew beer."

Obama: "We make beer. First president since George Washington to a ... to a ... make some brews in the Whitehouse."

Well, if we are really going "Truther" here, the beer was from Kenya. :ban:

No matter what, it's awesome to have the homebrewing world advertised like this.

It was a joke man, and honestly, I couldn't think of the national beer of Kenya off the top of my head, and even if I could have, no one would have heard of it anyway.

EDIT: the answer is apparently Tusker lager. Sweet logo, has an elephant on it.

It was a joke man, and honestly, I couldn't think of the national beer of Kenya off the top of my head, and even if I could have, no one would have heard of it anyway.

EDIT: the answer is apparently Tusker lager. Sweet logo, has an elephant on it.

I know, hence the dancing banana. I thought about not even posting what I did for fear of you taking it wrong. No worries, great hash tag.

I know, hence the dancing banana. I thought about not even posting what I did for fear of you taking it wrong. No worries, great hash tag.

No worries man, I wasn't offended. Glad you got the joke.

The more interesting this is that he said something about using the honey from the fort lady's garden and that someone from the mess hall figured out that you can make beer from it, as if people weren't using that the cinque for the last thousand plus years. I wonder if the beer is any good. And even if it is not, I am not sure I would have the stone to say to the POTUS "meh, I think you fermented a bit high, I get some bubblegum ester on the nose. Have you thought about a fermentation chamber?"

I don't think he'd be here with us commoners. The secret service wouldn't let him

No worries man, I wasn't offended. Glad you got the joke.

The more interesting this is that he said something about using the honey from the fort lady's garden and that someone from the mess hall figured out that you can make beer from it, as if people weren't using that the cinque for the last thousand plus years. I wonder if the beer is any good. And even if it is not, I am not sure I would have the stone to say to the POTUS "meh, I think you fermented a bit high, I get some bubblegum ester on the nose. Have you thought about a fermentation chamber?"

There was a thread going around when Northern Brewer put the two White House kits together about some people actually getting a bottle from the Pres. Never did hear any reviews of it though. I actually wonder what the chances are, when Mr. Obama gets back to Chicago, of having him stop by and do a homebrew swap. Would be hilarious to get some of those tasting notes on video.

Haha that never even dawned on me. I could not imagine him showing up to a local homebrew club meeting and participating in a bottle swap. That would be crazy.

I wonder if there's a link anywhere to the interview? I'd like to see that myself. I think it's cool that we finally have a home brewer in the white house, even if his cooks do the work.

"Not gonna happen"? Insulting the president to his face about his beer? Why couldn't they get Charlie or one of the other HB Gods to do the interview? At least get one that likes beer, which she apparently doesn't. Sheez.

Now maybe my neighbors will stop asking if what I am doing is legal!

In all seriousness though, this amount of national media attention involving homebrewing is pretty awesome.

"Not gonna happen"? Insulting the president to his face about his beer? Why couldn't they get Charlie or one of the other HB Gods to do the interview? At least get one that likes beer, which she apparently doesn't. Sheez.

That sip she took was painful to watch. There is a very real chance it didnt even reach her tongue.

I agree. It should lend more of an air of legitimacy to what we do. Besides maybe getting more home brewers going. I understand there's some 1.2 million of us now?

And funds it with tax money. Nothing like taking credit for someones work with money from millions of people.

Meh, I'm not so concerned about that, it's what government does, across all party lines. It's more the thought that the President has time to brew beer and the President is a homebrewer type posts. That's like calling anyone who drinks homebrew a homebrewer.

Looks like the NBC Gestapo has shut this vid down. Still cool to see the Prez endorse homebrew.

People will dislike this POTUS regardless of what he does.
However politics aside, this is a very humanizing story. The POTUS can get any beer he wants stocked in the WH kitchen.
What brewery would turn down that type of press and opportunity?
POTUS wants a Heady Topper- he's got it!
But he chose to have some home brew. Regardless if he was the guy making it or his top notch chefs.

This is like Truman and allowing the use of the bowling alley! While Truman did not use it Nixon sure did.
JQA skinny dipped in the Potomac,
Bush played golf,
Calvin Coolidge napped!

I think it great that POTUS, secretly maybe a beer nerd like the rest of us.

Now my real question is, when a foreign dignitary comes to the white house does POTUS shove the homebrew in their face saying "take a sip and tell me what you think"?, much like I do to anyone who comes to my abode!
:tank:

Back