NB v Jamil Scottish 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stedtale

Reaction score
If I do add 2# DME, how much hops should I add to keep it in balance?

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

i havent tried either one of those kits so i dont know, but i generally use this for my recipes to match styles. just insert what you get from those kits in the right places and look at the ibu. then add the dme you want and see how much the ibu changes and go from there. it will give you a check at the top if youre within the style range.

http://beercalculus.hopville.com/recipe

i havent tried either one of those kits so i dont know, but i generally use this for my recipes to match styles. just insert what you get from those kits in the right places and look at the ibu. then add the dme you want and see how much the ibu changes and go from there. it will give you a check at the top if youre within the style range.

Thanks, I'll use the hopville calc to figure out the right amount of hops.

Looks like, if using the NB kit, I'd need to up the fuggles to 1.5 oz@60m to keep it balanced at about the same.

I am very interested in Jamil's recipe. I should put that in too.

I played with brew calc. I put in the NB kit and then mixed it with Jamil's and tried to keep the BU:GU in the correct range.

Does this look ok?

ANy opinions?

Northern Brewer Gold LME Extract 6.6lb
Briess Amber DME Dry Extract 2lb

> steep grains in 2.5 gals @ 155 for 20 minutes
American Crystal 40L 11 ozs
American Crystal 120L 3 ozs
Honey Malt 2 ozs
Pale Chocolate Malt Grain 1 ozs

Fuggles 4.5% 2.0 ozs boil 60 Pellet
Fuggles 4.5% 1.5 ozs boil 30 Pellet

Wyeast Scottish Ale (1728)

Irish Moss
BrewVint brand Yeast Fuel

BU:GU comes out at .38
25.5 IBU
OG 1.067
FG 1.019
13° SRM
6.4% ABV

> 2.5 gal boil for 5 gal

Would it be better to add some other kind of DME?
How do the grains look?
How do the hops look?
It seems like a lot of hops for such a malt focused beer, are the calcs correct?

I have made Jamils recipe. It is well balanced. It is not quite my favorite style though, so I didnt love it. I made it just to have something differnt on hand. Others seem to like it.

I have made Jamils recipe. It is well balanced. It is not quite my favorite style though, so I didnt love it. I made it just to have something differnt on hand. Others seem to like it.

Any idea what the BU:GU was for Jamil's?

my recipe
BV=.73
BU:GU=.38

So, malty but not extra malty.

Jamil's is
BV=.78
BU:GU=.42

So, I'm thinking about adding a little more Hops to balance it out. Should I stick with Fuggle, or would it be worth it to add a second hop .... say EKG to the 30m section? Or should I do one hop at 60 and one hop at 30 say:

2oz Fuggle @ 60
1.625oz EKG @ 30

How would that taste vs:

2oz fuggle + 1.625oz EKG @ 60

Recipie rework:

Does this look ok?

ANy opinions?

Northern Brewer Gold LME Extract 6.6lb
Briess Amber DME Dry Extract 2lb

> steep grains in 2.5 gals @ 155 for 20 minutes
American Crystal 40L 11 ozs
American Crystal 120L 3 ozs
Honey Malt 2 ozs
Pale Chocolate Malt Grain 1 ozs

Fuggles 4.5% 2.0 ozs @ 60 Pellet
Fuggles 4.5% 1.0 ozs @ 30 Pellet
Styrian Goldings 5.4% 1.0oz @ 20 Pellet

Wyeast Scottish Ale (1728)

Irish Moss
BrewVint brand Yeast Fuel

BU:GU comes out at .42
BV: .81
28.3 IBU
OG 1.067
FG 1.019
13° SRM
6.4% ABV

> 2.5 gal boil for 5 gal

Would it be better to add some other kind of DME?
How do the grains look?
How do the hops look?
It seems like a lot of hops for such a malt focused beer, are the calcs correct?
I want it to be malty, but more balanced that I originally had it. The hops seem like a lot. Are they?

Ok.

When I plug these numbers into beertool.com I get 59 IBU.....way too much

In beer tools If the hops are:
1oz fuggles@60
1oz Fuggles@30

I get an IBU of 26.8, much closer to the correct IBU.

So, which is right?

For this hops schedule:
Fuggles 4.5% 2.0 ozs @ 60 Pellet
Fuggles 4.5% 1.0 ozs @ 30 Pellet
Styrian Goldings 5.4% 1.0oz @ 20 Pellet

Hopville says 28 IBU and beertools.com says 59 IBU...

I'm confused now.....

is your boil size the same in both? also does beertools let you change what type of hop it is (leaf/pellet/shot)? i dont have a beertools account so i dont know how theirs works.

is your boil size the same in both? also does beertools let you change what type of hop it is (leaf/pellet/shot)? i dont have a beertools account so i dont know how theirs works.

Yes, same boil size. Yes, I can choose pellets for both.

perhaps they both use different calcs....

I brewed a batch of NB's 70/- a few months ago (extract w/ grains). The only Scottish ale I've ever had is Belhaven's Scottish Ale, which I believe is a bit higher alcohol than the 70/- per style guidelines. The NB kit was very close in taste to Belhaven; it could have been a bit more malty, but the bitterness, smell, and slight "peaty" taste were right on!

Now that this beer's been in the bottle for almost three months, it's super clear (I didn't add any clarifiers) and has really mellowed out. I've been toying with doing a batch of JZ's, but the NB came out so well I don't want to mess with what I know I like! :)

I did end up using White Labs' Edinburgh ale yeast, unlike JZ's recipe. I made a starter (it was about two weeks from the "best before" date) of about 1.5 liters, built up over about 36 hours at room temp (66F).

Back