National Homebrew Day Plans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your plans for National Homebrew Day?

• Brewing, With Others Brewing (Homebrew Club, etc)

• Brewing Solo, With Others There

• Brewing Alone, With No One There to Celebrate

• Unable to Brew

Results are only viewable after voting.
Brewing the Deschutes Obsedian clone and teaching a guy (maybe 2) to brew and selling them some of my old equipment that I've accumulated. :ban: My first brew day since last June. Just ordered ingredients this morning so I can get my starter going this week or weekend.

It's National Homebrew Day and Cinco de Mayo this year, so I'm killing two birds with one stone and brewing up a Mexican Lager ;)

Cheers!

I'll be unavailable to brew due to the Navy removing me from my brewing equipment...

I'll hopefully be making my Sahti-esque Saison this weekend, instead.

I plan to petition Congress to officially change National Homebrew Day to the first Saturday in May, so this rediculousness of "National Homebrew Day is May 7th, but not really" ends in 2013. :D

I'm gonna brew a raspberry porter. On May 7th. Because I'm a purest. :p

NM brewers are welcome to come out to Santa Fe Brewing Company as there is always a kickass brew day going on, especially on Big Brew. It's a killer scene and there are usually a fair amount of people brewing/sampling/BBQ'ing. The club will be potlucking so bring a dish if you're into sharing. Last year we killed it as I think we brewed around 140 gallons? I can't find the total but it was something like that. I seem to remember 119 but then there were a few more batches tallied after that.

This year, the tally will be bigger for sure as we have something lined up that will boost the total gallonage for sure.

Come on out if you are an NM brewer. Santa Fe Big Brews are an immensely fun event. Way better than ABQ ones typically. Our club may be smaller, but we have all the cool kids.

And if you do come out, seek out Leif and give him a wet willy. For every wet willy successfully deployed on Leif, the club will be donating 5 dollars to the local Big Brothers/Big Sisters chapter. Just tell Tony each time you are able to get Leif. Purple nurples count towards this donation as well.

So, as most of you know, May 5th is the observed National Homebrew Day for 2012 (as May 7th is the actual day).

What do you all have planned for that day/weekend?

I got the day off of work, so I'll be brewing 2 batches with my friend (who will also be brewing 1-2 batches). Leaning towards 5gal of Cream Ale, and 5gal of a DIPA.

The beer will be flowing, and we're planning on having quite the get-together of people interested in learning, drinking, & celebrating.

Hey neighbor! I'm just down the road from you in Lansing, MI, going to have a similar get-together on May 7. I just can't see celebrating an event on a day when it's technically not it's day, but whatever works! The important thing here is, beer and homebrewing! I have a 5 gallon batch of strawberry kiwi ale and a espresso stout.

I have a bunch of people coming over to join in the festivities... home brewed beer and mead, meat and cheese food pairings, handouts, trivia and more!

I gotta go out & get some new burners & drip pans for the elec stove first. Then head over to JW Dover for supplies to brew another batch of my Sunset Gold APA. The new burners will def make a better batch. Thank God the state paid off quick this year.
And since I'm retired,I'll brew on the actual day. :ban:

Well that's my 55th birthday party and between myself and my brother we are providing about 8 kegs of homebrew and pulling from his 600+ bottle wine collection....oh, and catering in Cinco de Mayo food! It should be a day that will live in infamy :)

I plan to petition Congress to officially change National Homebrew Day to the first Saturday in May, so this rediculousness of "National Homebrew Day is May 7th, but not really" ends in 2013. :D

But since Congress only meets during the week, then THAT day would be the start of the holiday "AZ had the holiday changed day." And then we'd run into whether we celebrate THAT day on the actually day or the Saturday before.

I just can't see celebrating an event on a day when it's technically not it's day, ...

Do you celebrate Easter? Then you're doing that very thing every year.

Easter is a moveable feast, meaning it is not fixed in relation to the civil calendar. The First Council of Nicaea (325) established the date of Easter as the first Sunday after the full moon (the Paschal Full Moon) following the northern hemisphere's vernal equinox. Ecclesiastically, the equinox is reckoned to be on 21 March (even though the equinox occurs, astronomically speaking, on 20 March in most years), and the "Full Moon" is not necessarily the astronomically correct date. The date of Easter therefore varies between 22 March and 25 April. Eastern Christianity bases its calculations on the Julian calendar whose 21 March corresponds, during the 21st century, to 3 April in the Gregorian calendar, in which the celebration of Easter therefore varies between 4 April and 8 May.

Interesting how that works. I was born on easter,which at the time was 3/31. The 1st 3 years anyway. Double header for me!

Do you celebrate Easter? Then you're doing that very thing every year.

Completely different. Trying to compare Homebrewers Day to Easter would be like this: Easter is March 28th; but it is really celebrated on the first Sunday following the first full moon following the Spring Equinox.

Sounds like an awesome date to brew my innaugural batch on my new All Electric System!

Now I have a construction deadline, crap.

Well I beat my construction deadline, and brewed 20 gallons this weekend :rockin:.

Soo, I think I am going to celebrate National Homebrew Day by inviting a bunch of friends over to check out the new system, learn a little about homebrewing, and possibly find someone who wants to buy my old propane burners and odds and ends equipment so they can get started!

Now I have a garage/brewery cleanup deadline, crap crap.

Completely different. Trying to compare Homebrewers Day to Easter would be like this: Easter is March 28th; but it is really celebrated on the first Sunday following the first full moon following the Spring Equinox.

Yeah its more like this 'holiday', the second worst thing to ever come out of my alma mater, Penn State:

State Pattys Day

How is it really different? Easter is supposedly celebrating the date that Jesus supposedly rose from the dead, so although we don't really know that date. It is the day we chose to commemorate or celebrate that specific day. Seems the same thing to me..... We have an activity on a fixed day of the week that commemorates a different date. First Sat. of the month, or first sunday following the first full moon....it's still kinda the same.

That's why you need to go to congress and fix this. But make it on a Saturday, or make it like ML King day that we can have off.

I'll be introducing 4 interested parties to brewing (including my wife!). We will be doing 7 batches that day...should be interesting!

My club. Sonoma Beerocrats, will have eight teams going. My team is doing "Ardley Brow Ale (Northern English Brown Ale). I think most are doing the Bucksnort Brown Ale (American Brown Ale).

Planning time is coming to a close!!

So, it is decided/finalized: I will be brewing 5gal of my hefeweizen (2nd time brewing), as well as a 10gal batch of cream ale. All this with my new-fangled converted keg kettle.

The yeast starter for the hefe will be made on thursday, and I will likely be using dry yeast for the cream ale.

Seems like a great day to brew that PTE clone I have been planning (for too long).

Seems like a great day to brew that PTE clone I have been planning (for too long).

1234525508_ben_stiller_-_do_it.gif

Brewing a Russian Imperial Stout to be aged/ready by Christmas, and brewing Biermuncher's Blue Balls Wit. Winter and summer beers all in the same weekend! Life is good!

i'll be brewing on the 4th instead, gotta keep my saturday open for any cinco de mayo festivities that may present themselves

I'll be bottling my batch of EdWort's Haus Ale and brewing up my Simcoe Pale Ale recipe. If I have time I'm going to check out the big brew day at Lucid brewing in Minnetonka. Unfortunately, my current process is not mobile so I will be there on a sharing and learning mission.

I'll be bottling a German Porter, brewing a German IPA, and drinking a Citra Wheat. I doubt anyone else will be there, since apparently posting "Free Beer" on Facebook isn't enticing enough...

I'm not going to be brewing Saturday. Mainly because I brewed last week and my carboy is tied up with an amber ale right now. But also because in addition to being National homebrew day, Saturday is also cinco de mayo andddd the Kentucky derby. So instead of brewing I'll be celebrating NHD by drinking lots of homebrew while watching the derby and eating tons of guac.

Brewing a belgian pale with the Wyeast Lambic Blend. Then, for National Homebrew Day 2013, we'll taste test it. It probably won't really be ready to blend/drink until 2014. I think I'll just start brewing a new sour every year on this day.

Also brewing a wheat beer for a co-worker's wedding reception. 5 gallon test batch that I'll split into 5 one-gallon jugs on top of various fruits for secondary.

Cheers!

Will be brewing a 10g batch of saison that will be split and one side will go on brett only and the other side will be given 2lbs of chopped prunes and some debittered belgian black malt tea and brett'd. Might do a 10gal batch of IPA if i'm not too wasted lol this will all happen at Big Brew @ Brew Brothers... Brats, Brewing, and Beer!

I have no plans to brew, I brewed a dubbel earlier this week and will be busy doing family stuff this weekend.

Back