National Homebrew Day May 1........

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to a Cubs game tomorrow so I'll be celebrating NHD on Sunday. Brewing up an Irish Stout and an Hoppy Rye Ale. Om nom nom!

Brewing up 10 gallons of AG Haus Amber Ale (aka "Mother's Milk"), during the Death Storms.

Since it's "National Homebrew Day", can we start drinking about 7:00AM?

:drunk:

National Brew Day Starts at 12:01am so no reason to wait till 7.

A great LHBS (The Brew Hut, for CO folks) is hosting a get-together for Big Brew Day, so I'll be packing my rig in the car tonight and brewing in their parking lot tomorrow. Since TBH is directly attached to Dry Dock Brewing Company (GABF Small Brewpub of the Year for 2009), they will have plenty of hot mash water and cooling water available.

I'll be brewing 11 gallons of my American Rye ale (Pale malt, a Little Crystal, 15% Rye, Sterling and Willamette) and demonstrating no-chill methods. I'm going to no-chill half the batch and then dunk the chiller in the second half of the batch, so I can taste just how much no-chill affects bitterness.

A great LHBS (The Brew Hut, for CO folks) is hosting a get-together for Big Brew Day, so I'll be packing my rig in the car tonight and brewing in their parking lot tomorrow. Since TBH is directly attached to Dry Dock Brewing Company (GABF Small Brewpub of the Year for 2009), they will have plenty of hot mash water and cooling water available.

I'll be brewing 11 gallons of my American Rye ale (Pale malt, a Little Crystal, 15% Rye, Sterling and Willamette) and demonstrating no-chill methods. I'm going to no-chill half the batch and then dunk the chiller in the second half of the batch, so I can taste just how much no-chill affects bitterness.

I was tempted to see if Steve could give me a 20A circuit for my system, but I ain't up to brewing in the snow. :) I'll be by to say hi to everyone and pick up some grain though. Brewin' up another batch of Pliny the Elder tomorrow.

You guys that get to brew tomorrow suck. I forgot to plan in advance this year again (screwed myself last year also).

I'll be brewing on May 8th. May 1st will be dedicated to getting the garage cleaned out and ready to go for brewing on the 8th. I'll have to rack some beer around and drink a few pints tomorrow just so I've done something on National Homebrew Day.

I was tempted to see if Steve could give me a 20A circuit for my system, but I ain't up to brewing in the snow. :) I'll be by to say hi to everyone and pick up some grain though. Brewin' up another batch of Pliny the Elder tomorrow.

Weather Underground says a high of 52 and no more than a 10% chance of precip. Anyhow, this is CO, man! We do lots of stuff in the snow. If it's warm enough to keep hose lines from instantly freezing, it's warm enough to brew! :ban:

Stop by and see my ghetto-tastic KISS rig. I'll be the overweight white guy with the beer gut.

I have to agree. I was planning on doing a batch tomorrow but I have since decided against it. I will work on my kegerator and bar build instead. Hey its homebrew related;)

I woke up to 13 inches in my driveway yesterday. It is still snowing here in Glenwood at the moment. Just got word Vail Pass is closed in both directions.

Snow? And to think I was gonna brew tomorrow but it will be too nice out 85 and sunny all day. Sunday is supposed to thunderstorm so I'll move the brewday to then.

Happy National Homebrew Day everyone! I'm headed to the Big Brew Day event in Tampa, should be a helluva good time.

Woohoo!!! Happy RDWHAHB Day!!!

My Schwarzbier is boiling right now.

Downside of being an electric brewery is it is not really possible to brew off-location. 240V, GFCI, etc just not likely to be present at LHBS. I'll still get over there though.

I am getting ready to head over to Brewers Connection to brew, I stuffed all my AG gear into my 2000 Civic HX. now thats a tight fit! I decided I am doing 10 gallons of the American Wheat and splitting it with Nick, an employee there who has to work during the event, isnt that nice of me? :D

well I may not be from the US, but lets just pretend this is "International Home Brew Day".. ;)

I am making a 5 gallon ESB today, extract with steeped grains n lots of hops. And since my last batch of home brew is gone, I will be drinking a local microbrew:mug:

I don't plan on brewing, but I am having a hosting a home brew tasting tonight. APA, nut brown ale, and a raspberry red ale is on the menu.

My oatmeal stout is coming along nicely. I was considering adding blueberry extract to it but since this is my first stout I'm just going to go by the directions.

I'm off to Miami Valley BrewTensils with some homebrew in hand. They're gonna demo a wine kit shortly. SWMBO will watch that while I nerd out on homebrew.

10G of oatmeal stout going on today! I have the grains steeping as we speak (type). I'm actually trying out my new PWM cotroller on my kettle for the first time! So far so good!

Let's see some national brew day photos. I'll up load mine later as I'm in middle of brewing. Got a late start but I'm in garage so I can go all night. Grains are steeping, classic rock on ipod radio, and beer in hand. Bare with me as I'm on blackberry.

Brewed 5 gallons of APA today with my new system, missed OG by a little but thats to be expected. 76% efficiency so Beer Smith says so all in all Im happy but have some dialing in to do to get the system figured tighter. Im also building a sparge arm to try next time. Got my wheels on the sculpture this morning that were scrounged off a old grill for 2 and my sons training wheels for the other 2 and then a solid platform at the bottom for my E-keggle. I also need a colder well, maybe Ill drill a big hole in my yard and insert a huge tube in which I can a dozen bags of ice in there to get colder water at my tap! :)

I brewed my first batch ever. Tried the Blood Orange Hefeweizen recipe. Things went well, although I got my first boil over out of the way pretty quick! I had a blast brewing today. I can already tell this is gonna become an expensive hobby.

Brewed a Pliny clone today. First full boil out on the driveway (but still extract). Went pretty well, but we forgot the thermometer at my brother's place and had to ballpark when to stop the chiller. Got it in the fermenter, came out at 81F. So - put it in the fridge for a couple hours, got it down to 75F and pitched at 5:30 PM. Already getting CO2 bubbles at 8:30, so it seems fine! Can't wait for 6 weeks to go by ...

It's a crime because it's national brew day. Your probably in a state where it'sd legal and no reason not to brew. I'm in a state where it is illegal and still I'm brewing all night if that is what it takes with my truck blocking view from road. So get off your ass and brew. I have brewed 70 gallons since jan and still going.

Well, I have the ingredients but I forgot to get me starter ready, so I'm not going to be brewing today.

I may transfer my Brown Ale, and make my Extra Pale tomorrow...

bottled dunkelweizen and english pale ale, brewed american wheat. t'was a good day. :tank:

edit- oh yeah, and my first hops (cascade) came up today
9e1f620b.jpg

Start ur starter before 12:01am so it counts. I'm gonna start how many gallons on national brew day starting with my 10.

I brewed up a brewers best cream ale today. Smoothest brew day yet. No boil over.
IC chiller brought her down to 70-75 in about 20 mins. Hope it tastes good when its done! :mug:

brewed up an unfiltered American wheat today. things got a little crazy considering I was also having a BBQ.

on a side note, here's hoping the yeast gets going quick, the dog may or may not have slobbered in the cooling wort while i was trying to grill.... :-/

Back