NanoBrewery build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on the cold room now. You can see the A/C and electrical panel on the right and the insulation starting to go up on the left. The thermometer hanging in the middle is showing lagering temps right now so I'll need to heat the room up once it's finished.

10-04-09 Cold room.jpg

Woohoo!! I got my approval from the TTB (Feds) today. Time to rock and roll!!! :rockin:

Live the dream, and make it happen.
I still think that would be a great man cave in any case.
You are the Boss, and I salute you. :mug:
Best of luck, and some day I hope to buy your beer in my local store. (If you ever want to deal with all the interstate ..... )

Live the dream, and make it happen.
I still think that would be a great man cave in any case.
You are the Boss, and I salute you. :mug:
Best of luck, and some day I hope to buy your beer in my local store. (If you ever want to deal with all the interstate ..... )

Thanks. Interstate means getting my labels approved by the feds, so not such a big deal. Perhaps someday it will make its way to the Islands. :mug:

Time for an update. Got some temp doors on it and more insulation done. It weathered a high wind and rain storm we just had with only a slight leak in the window and through the front doors but I expected the doors to not keep out driving rain like we had. County Health says the shop I'll be selling my brew at needs something other than carpet on the floor and a few other things so there is a delay there.

That's a Ruger padlock, meaning it's not on the other form of security. ;)
10-14-09 Locked.jpg

Because of the thickness of the R30 insulation I have to use firring strips to hold the rigid foan insulation to the wall.
10-12-09 coldrm.jpg

I'm also going to have a standard ceiling in the cold room.
10-13-09 ceiling.jpg

Not 100% for sure, but the R-30 insulation in the cold room if it is smashed/compressed in the cavity with the foam board over it the compaction will make the insulation much more in-efficient. Someone once told me that if you would compact insulation larger that the cavity in your case R-30 you might should have just put R-13 2X4 insulation in the wall. The thickness is what gives it the "insulation" effect. Hope that came out right, someone chime in here if I am mistaken.

Other than that you've got a sweet project going here man, Kudos to you!

Not 100% for sure, but the R-30 insulation in the cold room if it is smashed/compressed in the cavity with the foam board over it the compaction will make the insulation much more in-efficient. Someone once told me that if you would compact insulation larger that the cavity in your case R-30 you might should have just put R-13 2X4 insulation in the wall. The thickness is what gives it the "insulation" effect. Hope that came out right, someone chime in here if I am mistaken.

Other than that you've got a sweet project going here man, Kudos to you!

The compression will lessen the R value but It should still be in the 20's. At least the ceiling will retain the R-30. I could be wrong though.

HB-

Great job! As an accountant I do have one issue....your comment in post number 120 about having to make a profit in 5 years. This is a common misconception, you could show losses foreverand the IRS doesn't care. I am assuming at least for the time being you are going to be a schedule C? My main advice would be to keep a seperate bank account for the brewery operation...income is deposited in it and bills are pd from it.

GOOD LUCK!

Chris

Looks amazing! Is the cold room up and running now?

You have to post the first batch you do in the new digs! Again, great job. I'm incredibly jealous

Looks amazing! Is the cold room up and running now?

You have to post the first batch you do in the new digs! Again, great job. I'm incredibly jealous

Thanks. I went into the cold room just to see what the temp was and it's holding, on its own, at 68 degrees. It was the same yesterday afternoon also. It's not finished yet but almost.

HB-

The other part of my advice would be to always "hold it out" as a business. Always refer to it as "the brewery" or business name......never, "hobby", etc. As long as you actively operate and conduct this as a business with the trun intention of making a profit at some point, the IRS could never hit you with the "hobby loss" rules. 2 things you may want to glance at if you are going to do your own tax return:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

this should help you catagorize your expenses...

Also, dont forget to depreciate everything you have placed into service in the new building.

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=186056,00.html

This one is the hobby rules page.

HB-

The other part of my advice would be to always "hold it out" as a business. Always refer to it as "the brewery" or business name......never, "hobby", etc. As long as you actively operate and conduct this as a business with the trun intention of making a profit at some point, the IRS could never hit you with the "hobby loss" rules. 2 things you may want to glance at if you are going to do your own tax return:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

this should help you catagorize your expenses...

Also, dont forget to depreciate everything you have placed into service in the new building.

http://www.irs.gov/irs/article/0,,id=186056,00.html

This one is the hobby rules page.

Thank you for all the info. I do hope to start making a profit sooner than later. I would like this business to get to the point of supporting me in later years or should my current job be lost.

I did have a Log Furniture business before and that has since turned into a hobby. It was requiring way to much time for very little return.

You suggested, I listened. I'm using dowels to extend the studs out so I can attach the rigid foam board to them and not squish the R-30 with the firring strips.
Thank you for the comments about the insulation. Too late for the back wall. I decided to leave the firring strips up instead of tearing it apart. That wall is always in the shade so it shouldn't hurt anything.

10-19-09 change.jpg

10-19-09 change2.jpg

You suggested, I listened. I'm using dowels to extend the studs out so I can attach the rigid foam board to them and not squish the R-30 with the firring strips.
Thank you for the comments about the insulation. Too late for the back wall. I decided to leave the firring strips up instead of tearing it apart. That wall is always in the shade so it shouldn't hurt anything.

Good deal, that should give you a little more efficiency in your cold-room.

Coming along really nice, can't wait to see some brewing action!:mug:

Possible change for, for the better, in plans with the business. The County Health Dept. won't let us sell beer in the store we had planned on using. It would take too many modifications. Turns out there is a store for rent, just a few shops down, that years ago was the Yosemite Brewery. It has a cold room built into it that had taps going through the wall into the Pub. Apparently they used to brew on site and had the fermenters in the front window etc..
We have a meeting set for tomorrow to see if this will work or not.

Curious on what "modifications" would have to be made to a wine shop to sell beer. Can you elaborate on that a little if you haven't earlier in the thread?

Back