my yeast rant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
i have given up on belgium yeast.

i don't want to eat a darned banana! i want to drink a beer! you know, those liquid beverages based off malt and hops?

my final attempt at liking belgium banana beers occurred tonight when trying to drink the DFH red and white..which was $10 for a pint (a lot for a broke college student). i figured, hey, i like DFH. there 90 minute is one of my favorite beers! ol' sammy won't let me down!

...sure enough, might as well been eating a banana split!

with that being said, i consider my palate decently refined. i've tried all type of hoppy beers, malty beers, sour beers, and weird beers, but i just can't seem to appreciate that banana-esque yeast induced flavor that is so common amongst european beers.

does anyone feel the same about this? if not, what exactly about these banana beers should i be looking at differently? is there any beer in particular that you suggest that could possibly make my american-beer-defined palate more welcoming to eastern style yeast?

thanks for the suggestions

cheers:mug:

...and for the banana beer lovers

cheers:ban:

simply put, taste is subjective.... I'm not a fan of most sour beers or barrel aged beers, but, I love hefeweizen....

I think anyone who claims to like all beers tastes is most likely full of ****. I believe that you may be able to appreciate all beer, but, how could you like all styles?

Paulaner Hefeweizen, Southern Tier Heavy Weizen, Hitachino Weizen, Two Brothers Ebels Weiss

I like all of those, but, I don't recommend them. It seems its just not to your tastes. If you try one, try Ebels Weiss. It isnt super yeasty or banana like, but, its great. My friend, who calls franziskaner "banana pee", actually likes that one.

I generally prefer them really yeasty and sometimes I'll swirl up the sediment in the bottle. I like them when its blistering hot and I'm working hard.

Jesus, there are $10 pints in this world? And it wasn't aged cask-conditioned world class high gravity beer?

I drink mediumly awesome to completely awesome beer for an effective price of between $2-5 a pint. For $10 go to your favorite brewery and take home a growler of their best and then keep the growler to put your brew in.

My rant:

It's BELGIAN yeast and BELGIAN beer. Not Belgium. BELGIAN.

Back