My Wild Beer Plan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinkothecarp

Reaction score
I'll go to the homebrew store, grab these ingredients:

6lbs Light/Pale Malt Extract Syrup
1lbs Flaked Wheat
1lbs Amber Liquid Extract
Color: 5° SRM / 11° EBC
Alcohol: 5.5% ABV

I'll find some hops so its 20 IBU's, too.

I'll then go to the liquor store and buy a bottle of Supplication/Consecration/Sour something. I'll go home, dissolve the extract into three gallons of water, boil it, cool it down, drink the consecration, and then pour the dregs into the boiled/cooled wort. I'll let this sit for a few days, and depending on what's going on, I'll throw some yogurt culture in there to get stuff moving.

Then, I'll let it sit for a while...like a few days. Hopefully the Supplication (or Conscecration)

After all this, I'll brew it like normal - as in, bring to a boil, add the hops, etc... Ferment it with a saison yeast, then I'll move it to a secondary where I'll oak it for 2 weeks with some Pinot Noir oak cubes I've got.

Lastly, I'll bottle it and hope it ends up somewhat sour, and good :)

What do you think of this plan?

Quite honestly, I don't think this is a great plan. You're probably not going to gain much, if any sourness, from dregs in a couple of days. The only "bug" contained in the dregs that has the potential to sour quickly would be lacto, but the cell count in the dregs is so low it might not do any good. And if the brett or sacc yeast contained in the dregs does take over, you're basically boiling beer (as opposed to wort) in your next step and that would probably produce undrinkable results.

If you want a sour saison that you want to finish in about the time of a regular batch, forget about brett and do a sour mash with a lacto strain- but keep the brett & sacc strains away until after you boil. There's a ton of info on sour mashes on the forum, and they really work well with saisons.

You'll want to do a lactobacillus fermentation with that 3 gallons of wort for a few days to a week. I have plans to sort of do this with an all brett beer. Brew up a batch of 7 gal put 4 gal into a fermentor with wlp510 then the other 3gal pitch a pure lacto culture (just to keep things controlled) let it go until I get a good pH that. Boil it and blend into the other beer to finish fermentation.

Back