My wife found the secret beer closet...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
We moved into our new house in August. There has been a closet upstairs that has been filled with boxes of linens and other misc. crap that my wife has not touched since we moved in.

Last week I opened it up and decided I could move all the stuff in the boxes to the top shelf. Giving me ample room for all my bottled beer. So I went ahead and cleared it out, moving the beer in.

I thought she would be happy since all the beer dissapeared from the pantry.

Well my 9 year old opened up the closet and ratted me out.:mad:

Now she wants me to put up shelves for the linens and wants to pack more useless **** into the closet.

I figure I can get another 3 weeks of procrastination out of putting up the shelves, giving my beer time to condition.

I might be able to scam some shelf space out of it. I figure I could get room for at least 8 cases of 16oz bottles.

damn, that sucks! At least I'm single - in fact right now in my bedroom I have a MLT, HLT, bag 'o' grain mix for a pale I'm brewing soon, bunch of dextrose and LME and yeast nutrients, etc...

I'm cool, right? Right? RIGHT? :(

I'd pay money to see the look on some chic that I bring into the bedroom - "what the hell is all this stuff?"

Tell her to do it herself. That's just wrong. The closet goes untouched for months and when you finally do something with it she tells you to do something else. Mean.

Crazy man. If my wife tried to pull that Sht, she'd get an earful before I did what she told me.

I mean, it's basically being used for long term storage, and she wouldn't even have remembered it was there if not for the kid reminding her. She could give up a little bit of space for your hobby.

It's not like you have brewing stuff spread all over the house, right? RIGHT?

Brilliant maybe, whipped, probably.:D Seriously though, your right hand and beer are better than sex and no beer. Unless your left handed.:cross:

P'shaw. It's better to use your left hand. Especially if you sit on it for a while until it goes numb so you can't feel it ("The Stranger").

Storing bottled conditioning beer next to linnens or other things you want to keep beer stain free is something to consider. It doesn't happen often, but bottle bombs are a reality, and I know for a fact that an exploding bottle of porter can ruin a set of towels faster than you know.

I cannot post pics here.

But its basically an empty coat closet, with all the linens stuffed on the very top shelf.
I figured she would find it eventually, just not so soon. If I can get some shelves put up, I might make one or two of them the same height as a 16oz bottle, letting me keep some space.

I think I might threaten to take away the walk in closet for the beer stuff. After she explodes over that idea, she would of forgotten about the closet in the hallway. :D

And no, I do not keep the beer stuff all over the house. After 12 years of marriage I have realized that if I want to keep a hobby without constant bitching. Then I have to keep it out of site.

I guess I am lucky. My SWMBO just cleaned out all of the closets in our house. There is one in our office I use to store my fermenters in the bottom. I get home from work last week and she says come look what I did. We go to the office closet and "da da da" she has cleaned it out and pointing at the shelves says "I thought you could put all of your beer stuff and thingies here" :ban: Man I love that woman.

SD

I cannot post pics here.

But its basically an empty coat closet, with all the linens stuffed on the very top shelf.
I figured she would find it eventually, just not so soon. If I can get some shelves put up, I might make one or two of them the same height as a 16oz bottle, letting me keep some space.

I think I might threaten to take away the walk in closet for the beer stuff. After she explodes over that idea, she would of forgotten about the closet in the hallway. :D

And no, I do not keep the beer stuff all over the house. After 12 years of marriage I have realized that if I want to keep a hobby without constant bitching. Then I have to keep it out of site.

You both own the house (or rent, whatever), marriage is a partnership, so why don't you have a mature discussion about it rather than letting her tell you what to do? I'm no marriage counselor, but assuming such a subservient role is not healthy, no matter how much people around HBT like to joke about "SWMBO".

We have a 3br house. Hwmbo has the bigger of the 2 leftover rooms as his gun room. I get the "guest bedroom" as a beer room. The whole closet's full of kegs and carboys, a bottling bucket, and a few cases of bottled beer. It works for me. I also keep my burner out on the covered back deck.

all of my guest bedrooms are full of kids. :D

I have at least 16 more years until I can both of those rooms empty. I currently have 2 kids in one room and the eldest in the other.

P'shaw. It's better to use your left hand. Especially if you sit on it for a while until it goes numb so you can't feel it ("The Stranger").

Plus if you use the left hand you can still use the right hand for the mouse.

Oh what, like you didn't think of it too!??

I'm a switch hitter too.

I don't have my own room for brewing, per se, but if I wanted to, I could store some stuff in my hobby room. Plus, I have some room in the closet that doubles as the stairs to the basement (which I've been using for storing items, but is damp, so I'm moving that stuff out to the garage) which is now my big big storage unit.

I'd be happy for one dedicated spot for all my brewing stuff, but with so many hobbies, it's hard to allocate room for just one, especially when the 1969 Mustang restoration takes precedence over most everything else.

I'm lucky my wife doesn't complain too much.

I'd be happy for one dedicated spot for all my brewing stuff, but with so many hobbies, it's hard to allocate room for just one, especially when the 1969 Mustang restoration takes precedence over most everything else.

Yeah, I have stuff kind of all over the place. The basement has a ton of stuff, including my "wine cellar" shelving. I have hundreds of empty bottles I just need to get rid of, plus all the stuff I've accumulated over the years, and now multiple sacks of grain. I have two freezers in the basement, also. There are about 10 carboys in the first floor laundry room full of wine, and of course fermenting beer. The home office has a kegerator and kegs lined up to go in. The only place I don't have any brewing gear is the upstairs and it's only because full carboys are too heavy for me to lug up there. My daughter's former bedroom would be an ideal fermentation/storage area. It worked great as a hops drying room back in September, though.

I actually gave a brewery tour on Thanksgiving to some relatives! They said the tour was informative but would rather just drink next time.

I'm a switch hitter too.

I don't have my own room for brewing, per se, but if I wanted to, I could store some stuff in my hobby room. Plus, I have some room in the closet that doubles as the stairs to the basement (which I've been using for storing items, but is damp, so I'm moving that stuff out to the garage) which is now my big big storage unit.

I have a 67 and a 73.

mid restoration on both.

For as much as we joke about SWMBO around here there really are some whipped guys. You pay the bills? I think you can keep you **** in your closet.

I have a closet just for storing beer.

You can find it in the room that's also just for beer equipment.

It's much easier when the brewing obsession is pre-existing to the marriage.

BuffaloSabres: choose your next post carefully my friend...

I have a 67 and a 73.

mid restoration on both.

Sweet! The 67 is a good year, and the 71-73 has grown on me much more since I started reading up on them more.

You can see some of my restoration at:

Homercidal.com

At the moment I'm sort of at a standstill. Had to take a bit of time off to build my garage, and convert my old attached garage into living space. Now that that is nearly done, I'm working on hauling the body shell up here so I can continue. It's not working out very well to have to drive 1.75 hours just to work on it (plus gas mileage).

Tell her that you need to raise the bed higher to help out your back. Make sure that you raise it enough that you can slide milk crates underneath it. Get a lot of milk crates and keep all of your bottles in them. Problem solved.

hungrymonkey... I have a 67 myself that is undergoing restoration. A LONG restoration. If i don't get off my duff, I will not touch the car this year.

I love my stang.

hungrymonkey... I have a 67 myself that is undergoing restoration. A LONG restoration. If i don't get off my duff, I will not touch the car this year.

I love my stang.
my 67 has not touched the road for at least 5 years.

the 73 is a mach 1. I need to finish rebuilding the cleveland and weld in some new floor pans. It was a steal at $1800. The only thing keeping it from driving was a spun cam bearing. I am not sure how the previous owner managed that.

The 67 has a 351w that is ready to plant into it. The only think keeping me from finishing it at this point is plumbing the disc conversion and new seats. I replaced the low back buckets with sn95 seats, but decided to go with the nicer aftermarket ones.

The brake line issues has been a nightmare. The first set of lines that I ordered did not match up to the conversion and did not work.

As soon as I get some time I will piece her back together.

For the time being I have a 89 vert that I drive daily. I havent touched it, other than regular maintenance. I am trying to keep it off the jackstands :D

my 67 is a 289 HIPO, BUT.. it has A/C & power steering & Power brakes.... im not exactly a car guy but I understand that is an odd combo on a 67

either way I still love it!

my 67 is a 289 HIPO, BUT.. it has A/C & power steering & Power brakes.... im not exactly a car guy but I understand that is an odd combo on a 67

either way I still love it!
not exactly an odd combo. Mustangs were built for the masses, and you could order what you wanted. So someone back in 1966-67, wanted a little more oomph but with some of the comforts.

My car is a bit of a mystery. It was jumbled together with different levlels of interior trim. I believe the 999 history on it said it came with a C code 289 and deluxe inteior, it also has power brakes and no A/C.

The car was a little ole granny's grocery go getter/sinday go-to-meeting car. Garage kept in Myrtle Beach, SC. When Hurricane Hugo removed the roof of the garage, she sold it. 27,000 miles is all it has.

Only thing I dont like is that its an Auto, but I'm not complaining.

get a ratchet shifter and a manual valve body for the c4. It makes the auto feel more like a manual. With the added bonus of not having to work the clutch in traffic.

27k miles is VERY low for an almost 42 year old car!

Back