My UDS! - Let me know what you think!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altenmuenster

Reaction score
Inspired by the meat pr0n here I became obsessed with getting into the smoking game. I highly recommend the UDS - easy as pie to build, I did some BBQ chicken to start off and am planning pulled pork and a whole chicken this week.

scaled-2011-08-15_18-45-46_655.jpg

scaled-2011-08-15_18-46-26_930.jpg

Looking good. Youre gonna love it. I bought a kit from dataz, and am really happy with it. A couple of eels ago, I smoked 22# of pork butt for our home brew party. It wa a hit. Enjoy! :mug:

I was shopping craigslist and found one with a liner for ten bucks, but that would have been a hell of a drive to pick it up.

I did some research and found a Barrel place in Pittsburgh - Penn Barrel (been there since 1908 or something like that) - They sold me a reconditioned unlined drum for $30, worth the extra money for the reduced hassle. It was a little odd walking into the warehouse with my three year old and nearly two year old (I'm a teacher so it's daddy day care in the summer) The guys working there got a kick out of it, and my girls were amazed at the thousands of barrels they had stacked up.

Aw man get that thing DIRTY! Bring on the meat!

(Looks great, I'm jealous, I've been putting off building one of those forever; I need to find a drum first; where'd you get yours?)

I wasted time and found one on Craiglist. I drove back into town past the scrap yard and saw a whole bunch sitting out back...

I'm cussing at a liner on both :drunk:

Ohwell. Should hopefully have it finished soon.

No, it was an unlined, reconditioned drum. I burned it out to ease my mind since I don't really know what was in it before. Then I coated the whole inside with grilling pam and seasoned the inside. It has a nice coating of grease and smoke inside giving it that black look.

here is mine. I love it esp now that I have an IQ 110 hooked up to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I clean mine out using a childs hoe from Lowes. When it gets really dirty I just flip it over and wash it out with water.

The IQ 110 works great on a UDS. You just have to remember that the probe should not be over direct heat. I place mine on the edge of the grill with a little aluminum foil covering the grate under the probe.

I clean mine out using a childs hoe from Lowes. When it gets really dirty I just flip it over and wash it out with water.

The IQ 110 works great on a UDS. You just have to remember that the probe should not be over direct heat. I place mine on the edge of the grill with a little aluminum foil covering the grate under the probe.

That's awesome, I'm really thinking an IQ 110 is next up for my UDS. I really love how well the thing performs, but the IQ would do wonders for the small temp tweaks over 14 hours or so.

Nice, Thanks for sharing the video and pics - man i wish I could weld or knew someone with a welder. :)

I'm on the lookout to pick up a weber 22.5" grill that I can sacrifice to the BBQ gods to expand the capacity of this thing if we entertain. Double decker grills and a raised roof!

I picked up a cheap pizza pan at walmart and I set the basket on top (very simliar to toddrod's design except I used a square design. I plan on drilling through the pan and attaching it to the the bolts, but am lazy. . .

Dummy question . . . the IQ 110 is your thermometer?

Back