My thief is bad at stealing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coachlight

Reaction score
So I've got to ask, is it me? I've got my beer thief, but i can barely get any beer when using it to fill my test tube for gravity readings. I suppose it may just be normal, but with all the emphasis on being sanitary, the fewer times I need to go in and out of the beer the better. Any techniques or different tools? Cheers.

All I can suggest is to suck the end of the thief to get more. wow this advice can be taken for much more than intented.

You may not be waiting long enough... Keep it submerged for a few seconds before placing your thumb over the end. The hole on the end is small and the thief doesn't fill instantaneously.

What kind of thief do you have? Mine has a piston/plunger/stopper in the bottom (like a bottling wand) that keeps the beer in when lifted.. It will fill only when you push the thief downwards (and thereby push up on the piston). So the trick to getting a larger sample is to go through that process a few times. Push it down to get some sample. Lift it back up. Repeat.

Instead of putting your sample in a jar, if you have the piston type thief you can put your hydrometer into it to do your reading. Also with the piston type if you jiggle it up and down (shake) it will pull more liquid in. You only have to sanitize the thief and the hydrometer instead of a jar on top. I think mine is fermtech.

This link is by no means an advertisement, just to show the product:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/fermtech-wine-thief.html

I have the Fermtech Wine Thief, too. I fill it by shaking it up and down like in this video @ 2:07.

Last edited by a moderator:
wfowlks said:
I later got a refractometer with Brix and SG.

Do you have problems with fg readings? I read a number of threads that say they are good for og but suck for fg.

scottab said:
Do you have problems with fg readings? I read a number of threads that say they are good for og but suck for fg.

I have started using a refractometer recently and on my last three brews it was only .001 off. Which could just be an error in reading the line...

I don't have problems with FG readings. They have been very accurate, you just can only use the Brix scale once fermentation occurs. There are numerous tools to help you calculate it.

I mean how accurate is someone eyeballing a hydrometer anyway. You will see the same error, the only difference is, you can sample more because all you need is a drop as opposed to like 6 oz for the hydrometer reading...

And I do appreciate having the extra one or 2 finished beers instead of having to drink it when its green.

It was one of the best investments I have made for brewing so far $55

The shaking method-- nice! It's been taking me two or two and a half dips of the thief to get enough for a reading. This will definitely help. Thanks all.

Draken said:
I have started using a refractometer recently and on my last three brews it was only .001 off. Which could just be an error in reading the line...

Which refractometer do you have?

wfowlks said:
I don't have problems with FG readings. They have been very accurate, you just can only use the Brix scale once fermentation occurs. There are numerous tools to help you calculate it.

I mean how accurate is someone eyeballing a hydrometer anyway. You will see the same error, the only difference is, you can sample more because all you need is a drop as opposed to like 6 oz for the hydrometer reading...

And I do appreciate having the extra one or 2 finished beers instead of having to drink it when its green.

It was one of the best investments I have made for brewing so far $55

I've been thinking of investing in one to limit the amount of green beer i drink ;D

The shaking method-- nice! It's been taking me two or two and a half dips of the thief to get enough for a reading. This will definitely help. Thanks all.

Heck when I was selling plumbing supplies workers from the local water treatment plant made rigs like that from pvc pipe and swing check valves to do water samples. I usually put the hydrometer in the wine thief and after a few shakes get enough to test, .... Just let it set a few moments for the foam to settle down to take readings.

ps. yes I sanitize the hydrometer first

When using this type of thief def make sure you have some liquid in it before you put your hydrometer in, or gently slide it in. I broke one hydrometer by not adding liquid first.

beergynt said:
You may not be waiting long enough... Keep it submerged for a few seconds before placing your thumb over the end. The hole on the end is small and the thief doesn't fill instantaneously.

That is probably it! Thanks. Will try next time I brew.

I use a plastic turkey baster from the dollar store. Has worked great so far.

I have the 3 piece wine thief that comes with the kits and a turkey baster from the dollar tree. They both leak when I steal some beer. I learned to just put the hydrometer right next to the bucket when putting the liq in. I think the hole on the bottom of the baster and thief is too big. Maybe I can melt it with some heat and make the hole smaller.

geeyoupee said:
I have the 3 piece wine thief that comes with the kits and a turkey baster from the dollar tree. They both leak when I steal some beer. I learned to just put the hydrometer right next to the bucket when putting the liq in. I think the hole on the bottom of the baster and thief is too big. Maybe I can melt it with some heat and make the hole smaller.

If you have the $ buy a fermtech wine thief. Rarely leaks unless the plunger in the bottom gets jammed, its a test jar and thief in one, hydrometer fits right in and is easy to use and clean. I am not an employee or owner of the co just own one.

Back