My Stand - Beernice (Brutus' sister)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuckoo

Reaction score
This is my brewing stand. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My stand is my best friend. It is my life...

So, I started my version of a Brutus 10 stand in March. SWMBO complained that I was spending too much time working on it and called it my mistress. So, I named her Beernice. First, I must thank all those who came before me for documenting their challenges here. I learned a lot and I didn't have to ask a single question. It was all right here.
I am somewhat mechanically inclined, but by no means a welder, so I employed a friend/coworker to Tig weld the unit for me. The welds came out fantastic. I figure if his welds are good enough for Boeing and Airbus, they are good enough for Beernice.

What I did differently...

1) Made it bigger. It can handle the More Beer heavy duty 26 gallon kettle. My current set up employs a 15 gal BK, 15 gal HLT, 26 gal MLT, and I still have room to go bigger should I ever have the need.

2) Counterflow chiller. The guys at More Beer talked me out of the plate chiller for ease of cleaning.

3) I'm using the More Beer sparge arm. Got a deal I couldn't pass up.

4) 23 tip LP jet burners. As I stated above, I learned the value of using an adjustable regulator and the 23 tip burners have worked fine for the initial testing. Time will tell, but a $10 a piece, it was worth a shot.

Other than that, it is basically the same as Lonnie's with a standing pilot and Asco valves.

What I learned.

1) Measure twice, cut once. The original plan was to add cross beams for the (2) 15 gal kettles and leave the center MLT section without a cross beam. However, I measured from the top (flanged) part of my HLT. It fit the frame, but only by 1/4" on all sides...too close for comfort, so I added the cross beam for the MLT

2) If you don't want gas leaks, don't use the white teflon tape. I started the pressure test with Co2 and a gauge. After an hour, the gauge indicated 0 psi and the gas beam was empty. I knew it couldn't be the welds, and I was right. Use the yellow gas rated tape.

3) Don't plug a hot wire into a ground wire. It just trips the GFCI every time.

I'm coming from 5 gal batch, cooler all-grain brewing to 10 gal RIMs brewing. What advise would you give for the first few batches?

Again...thank you all (too many to mention) who have posted your trials and tribulations before me. You have made this a much easier build than it would have been otherwise. I look forward to any advise you can give when making the jump to RIMs from smaller cooler batches.
Here are some pictures of Beernice. I'll post a few more with the kettles on later.

IMG_0014.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

" I'm coming from 5 gal batch, cooler all-grain brewing to 10 gal RIMs brewing. What advise would you give for the first few batches?"

Recommend doing several no-grain wet runs to make sure all your pumps and plumbing will do everything they should be doing. You may want to do a couple of 5 gallon actual batches after that to make sure everything works with grain.

It looks like you have all the building blocks for a first-rate system and a great looking stand as-well.

Treat her right, and you and Beernice should have a long and happy life together.

That is a very nice looking stand!! A+; the only heads up I can give you is the jet burners need some space from the bottom of the pot. The flame has a long throw. If you used any of the banjo big cast iron burners, it looks perfect.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing as ^above. Burners look way too close, especially for flat bottom kettles.

Really nice looking rig otherwise!

Cheers!

I'm $3100 into the project. I still need to get a few more disconnects, and hide the wiring...other than that, it's complete. The burners are 1.75" below the bottom of the kettles. I thought they were too close for comfort too. I can take them another 1" to 1.5" lower. Having the regulator really helps control the flame. Here's another photo with the kettles. Thanks for the feedback photo.jpg

Awesome build! Beginning a Brutus like build myself soon. Whats the reasoning behind the huge MLT? Ive seen people use 15g HLT and MLT and go with a bigger 20g BK, but not a bigger MLT. Just curious.

Nice work though, love the key ignition for the main power.

Awesome build! Beginning a Brutus like build myself soon. Whats the reasoning behind the huge MLT? Ive seen people use 15g HLT and MLT and go with a bigger 20g BK, but not a bigger MLT. Just curious.

It was only a $30 difference between the 15gal and 26gal kettles at Morebeer. I like making big beers like DIPAs and such. I've done a 5gal Pliny clone in a 10gal cooler MLT and it was tough to stir. After talking to the guys at B3 on one of their brew days they recommended going with the larger MLT in order to keep the liquid to grist ratio less than cement. At that price it was worth it for the flexibility.

Hi, I want to build your stand; do you have a cut list for the steel? Do you wish you did anything different now that you've used it for a while?

Hi, I want to build your stand; do you have a cut list for the steel? Do you wish you did anything different now that you've used it for a while?

I cannot find my altered cut list and print. I did find the original plan that I bastardized though.
xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/14085118/1257679793/name/Brutus.pdf
I made mine slightly larger to accommodate the larger MoreBeer brew pots and added a cross-bar up front. I found this list helpful for the parts list more than the cut list.

What would I do differently?

1. Measure twice cut once. Mine is over-sized front to back and I had to add a cross bar near the front of the stand to hold my kettles. It works out because it acts as a heat sync so I don't burn myself as often

2. I would love to convert to the Blichmann Banjo burners or go electric. The jet burners burn a lot of fuel and it's tough to dial in the pressure to get a good flame. I tend to get soot on the bottom of my kettles. No biggie really, but it gets all over me when I clean, or it blasts the heck out of the MLT when I bring up the temp. I HIGHLY recommend recirculating the mash if you apply direct heat to bring up the mash temp.

3. Welded casters vs. the screw inserts. There is a lot of weight on there when all 3 kettles are full. I've bent casters and almost spilled boiling wort.

4. Use a "real" pilot light. I've bypassed the idea all together. It's dangerous if you don't but in a legitimate pilot system. The temperatures hold pretty true with my kettles for nearly an hour anyway, so I don't have much of a need. Especially with the direct fire system. I heat my HLT while I'm converting in the MLT, it adds radiant heat to keep the mash temperature pretty well in check. (Disclaimer...I live in southern California)

5. Determine which kind of heat transfer you prefer. I elected for the counterflow for the ease of cleaning. I've never used a plate chiller, so I don't know what I'm missing.

6. Weld a hinge for the control panel. I hate that I can't fold mine in and it's welded in place.

Other than those truly minor things I love the stand and have had countless hours of relatively care-free brewing on it. Good luck!!!

Thanks for your response. I actually got mine built and up and running - much simpler than yours (no control panel... yet!). Here's a shot of it in storage mode (got the idea from Breworx's stand):
0222151430-X2.jpg

Latest posts

Back