My Ski Cabin themed Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPAguy89

Reaction score
Hi everybody, long time lurker short time poster here. After reading hundreds if not thousands of posts about keezer's i decided to build my own. I figured I would merger two passions, beer and skiing, and thus the ski cabin keezer concept was born. With an idea in place and having decided that i "need" a keezer i created my list of demands for this keezer which is admittedly not very demanding:
1. It had to be hobby future proof (i.e. i needed it to be expandable as my hobby grows. right now i have two corny kegs but im fairly certain that number is going to go up. as a result i will start by building a two tap keezer but i need it to be expandable to at least 6)
2. It has to be built at a very reasonable price so i can still focus on brewing. (mostly the getting good at it part)

I figured my first real step had to be getting a chest freezer, because without it i could not design anything else with certainty. In accordance to my second demand i took to craigslist, and after a brief 2 week hunt i found someone giving away a 1960/70's Kenmore Coldspot Model #1986213170 15 cu ft chest freezer. the exterior is a bit (read lot) rusty but the interior has zero rust and more importantly it runs fine (although im sure it isnt the most power friendly of chest freezers). side note it weighs a **** ton, and i thought i was going to die more than once moving it into my basement. But now that i had the chest freezer i could plan out my build. over the next 48 hours i modeled out to scale what i intended to build in sketchup: (i would upload the sketchup file but i have no idea how to)

15zm4pv.jpg

Its hard to tell in the model but the base which wraps around the chest freezer will be made out of rounded wood logs. At first i was hoping a local lumber mill would be able to supply me with their milling scraps which would be roughly what i was looking for, however after a trip to the lumber yard and a conversation with the owner (fun fact upon walking into his office i see a home brew sticker on the wall) he told me of a grave miscalculation i had made which was that trees taper and thus it would be incredibly difficult to secure similar size pieces. Lucky further research lead me to this company also fairly local that makes log cabin siding that is perfect for what i need: http://www.merrimacloghomes.com/logsiding.htm

The bar top is going to be made by putting down a sheet of white felt then placing various ski area maps down (leading candidates are Jackson Hole WY, Sugarbush VT, Mad River Glen VT, Tignes FR). Then a thick layer of epoxy. So far i have not found a single local supplier of any sort of epoxy, and i am scouring the internets for a good deal. Any recomendations, from some research on these boards it seems like enviro-tex is a good bet but i cant find any definite info on how much i will need to cover 10-12 sq ft in epoxy almost 1/2 an inch thick (1/2in less the thickness of the felt + maps).

Now onto the tower and taps. the tower will be a fairly simple box consisting of 2 sections, a lower section to hold pint glasses (I am looking for a way to securely hold glasses so lifting the bar top to access the chest freezer won't require removing the glasses) and an upper section for the taps. I decided on perlick taps because i figure long term they will be cheaper, for two reasons, they will last longer and more importantly eventually i would feel the need to replace regular taps so why spend the money on something i would want to replace. To fit my theme I am planning on making my own tap handles themed as ski poles, as of right now im not sure what makes more sense cutting ski poles and trying to attach them to the taps or using wood dowels which i can easily put tap threads into and attach ski pole grips to any suggestions would be appreciated. I will also put two more poles inline with the taps on either side of the tower these will support the skis. OK so i know it seems crazy, and I'm sure you have been thinking it since you saw the model but i want to mount a pair of skis across the taps and the end poles will be the support for the ski ends. i figure i can cut the skis into equal sections each section being mounted to a tap handle so that when all the taps are closed it looks like one ski but each tap can open independently. i want to then paint the ski bottoms which are facing out in chalkboard paint so i can write what is on each tap.

All in all I'm hoping to end up with a really unique keezer, but i still have a few pieces of the puzzle to figure out. Right now I'm trying to work out my beer line. At first i figured i would just order some beer line, but after reading this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-line-tests-solution-plastic-taste-60380/index3.html i am having doubts about using beer line. I don't really want to use 1/4in barrier tubing because i would need to use so much to balance my system. I did take a look at some stainless steel 304 tubing that is 3/16" but i have no idea if i could bend it enough to connect to the taps, or even how i would attach it to the taps. I would love some advice on this.

Cheers.

This looks like it will be fantastic. Good luck!

I'm juuuust finishing my own keezer for my ski-lodge basement - planning on pouring the envirotex on the top of it shortly. It's just a small 2-tap setup though, so no big deal. I'll post a photo when it's complete.

Really like the trail map idea though. One thing you might want to do is take a red marker and circle out some 'stashes', like a treasure map sort of thing. Even if they're not real... For your tap handles, here's what I'd do:
-cut a few metal ski poles (older the better)
-put some kind of plug about 1" inside the pole. this could just be a ball of paper, some play-dough, anything.
-melt a bunch of hot glue sticks on the stove
-pour hot glue stick melty lava stuff in to the poles, and let it cure
-when complete, drill a hole that's the same size as the tap thread
-use tap thread to thread the handles

I've done this with wood, and it works fine to make the threads. The hot glue stuff would be soft enough to get a thread easily in there, but hard enough to be secure. Either way, please show me what you do because I'll likely do the same thing (ski pole tap handles).

Side note: Heading to MRG/Sugarbush/Jay on the 28th. I heart VT. Heading to Aspen in March - if you want some more maps I could scoop 'em up for you. Highlands Bowl should definitely be in your display somehow.

I vote for a Sunday River Map!!!!

I think he's going for badass-ness on this one.

Jackson Hole WY: Corbetts, plus all kinds of sick terrain all over the place
Sugarbush VT: Castlerock separates the men from the boys (Fun bonus fact: I shagged a lady in the ski patrol hut. Don't eat anything on those picnic tables)
Mad River Glen VT: Paradise has that mandatory small cliff at the top, and is steep and fan-effing-tastic
Tignes FR: French Alps. Look left - badass terrain. Look right - badass terrain.

Sunday River ME: ???

Sugarbush VT: Castlerock separates the men from the boys (Fun bonus fact: I shagged a lady in the ski patrol hut. Don't eat anything on those picnic tables)
Mad River Glen VT: Paradise has that mandatory small cliff at the top, and is steep and fan-effing-tastic
Tignes FR: French Alps. Look left - badass terrain. Look right - badass terrain.

Whiteheat and Shockwave ...not bad ass?:rockin:

Maybe I just have a soft spot for that place...love it there...love Sunday afternoon skiing....everyone is gone and you feel like you have the whole place to yourself....then hit up the Matterhorn for some pizza and Geary's....

Okay I'll put it back on my list of places to revisit. Plus, the good stuff is all in the woods anyway. But when I come, you're showing me around and letting me try your homebrew. Pizza on me.

Haven't been there since I was like 13. I'm sure things done changed.

paulster2626 said:
Okay I'll put it back on my list of places to revisit. Plus, the good stuff is all in the woods anyway. But when I come, you're showing me around and letting me try your homebrew. Pizza on me.

Haven't been there since I was like 13. I'm sure things done changed.

They just cut new glades this year...but have been in there yet ....with the lack of snow

Awsome project good luck. Rather then using epoxy over the maps could also go with plexi glass to cover them. On the ski pols you could cut them down adn plug them with a wood plug. Drill out the plug and use the taped brass inserts for threads. Just my 2 cents.

Wow, I've been neglecting my own thread, shame on me. Anyways a few updates...

the bar top is built and stained and mounted to the lid of my chest freezer, I decided to use a dark green felt for the base layer of the bar top (on top of plywood of course) because there was a fear that the white felt could discolor over time. after talking to some people at Jo Ann fabric (a place where i was very out of place) as well as the local hardware store it seems what i have to do is lay down the felt and map and paint on a thin layer of elmers glue to seal the maps and felt, then i can apply to epoxy on top, thankfully these layers should reduce some of the thickness for the epoxy, since that **** is expensive.

I'm hoping to make the ski pole taps this weekend, but I can only find one of my old ski poles, and shockingly I'm not finding a lot on craigslist but if i find that other pole i can get to work.

I got really lucky at the local hardware store, they carried a 3/16 ID polyethylene tubing for $.15/ft, so i picked up 16 feet and don't have to order any tubing, which means i got my kegs hooked up last night (i owe it all to my patient girlfriend who was the only person capable of getting the tubing on the fittings, every time i tried i split the tubing) So even though i dont have the bar top done, or the frame built, i figured i would try her out. I get everything connected plug it in, and nothing chest freezer doesn't cycle on. On the back i notice (for the first time) there is a caution label by the bolts i removed to take the lid off during construction, saying DO NOT REMOVE BOLTS, a few turns will loosen the lid enough to be removed. Convinced this was my problem i pulled up the inner plastic seal and dismantled half the back of the freezer, only to determine that those bolts had nothing to do with why the chest freezer wouldn't start. After putting everything back together i went back to the compressor and thermostat, after not finding anything glaringly wrong i decided **** it and disconnected the wires to the thermostat and connected them directly, and the freezer cycled on. tinkered with the thermostat for another 45 minutes wired it all back up and the sucker is running again. So i figured it was only fair to thank the beer gods with a sacrifice of homebrew into my stomach :D

Sadly i only have one keg hooked up at the moment, because about two weeks ago i dropped a carboy full of Yoopers DF 60 min IPA while trasfering it to a keg (this was entirely my fault for being impatient, ignoring the girlfriend aka ignoring the cardinal rule, and general ineptitude) which created the most godawful mess in my basement. If it wasnt for the wet/dry vac, i think i would've set fire to the house. After this calamity im a bit scared off of glass carboys, and i think i want to ferment in cornies.

paulster you may be my new best friend, nail on the head. this also gives me a new idea HBT ski club?

Mine is done. I found the epoxy very easy to work with. All I did was use a coat of poly on the wood underneath the stone tiles to seal it up. I used the Envirotex Lite epoxy, and needed about 50% more than I estimated. So when you buy yours, buy lots! It'll probably be the most expensive part of your keezer, too. That stuff is pricy.

Oh, and I started blowing on the bubbles to get rid of them like the instructions said, but after a couple minutes I said screw this and I used a propane torch for the remainder.

I recommend pouring it on thin and smooshing it around with a piece of cardboard. Don't assume that the stuff will all just fluidly fall in to place. Ideally, use the epoxy on a much smaller project first to get the feel for it. And don't touch it for at least 48 hours as it'll still be sticky.

Tiles were donated by a friend, and though sheer fluke they matched the ebony stain I used on the wood PERFECTLY when wet. The epoxy gives it that wet look that makes everything just pop. I love when things just work out.
AmMJMbgCMAAcBWq.jpg

Heading to VT to ski next week. Will be at Stowe Wednesday, MRG Thursday, and the 'Bush on Friday. You need a map of Stowe's front-4 for your collection. Hope the snowstorm hammers the Green Mtns this weekend - but then again, it ALWAYS dumps when I go to VT. I'm like a snow-god or something. Must be karma.

I'll be skiing those 8 little bumps up in Bethel Maine this weekend. I am just praying the wind this weekend won't hold the White Cap or Jordan lifts.

I'll be skiing those 8 little bumps up in Bethel Maine this weekend. I am just praying the wind this weekend won't hold the White Cap or Jordan lifts.

Expecting 50mph winds!

Was thinking of leaving early and booting it down to Jay to ski the fresh stuff there, but no tram = no face chutes = no paulster.

Every year I go to VT for President's Week, and every year on the Friday I ski MRG and it dumps. This year would have been no exception.

Delayed the annual road trip until next week so I could save some dinero on lift tix and less crowds. Will it snow next week as well? Only time will tell...

first off, I would love both a Stowe and MGR trail map, seems i haven't been holding on to them over the years.

Two quick updates... first the other day when i was trying to adjust the thermostat to 38-40 the whole thing exploded, every internal piece flew across the basement, and even though i found them all it seems like it will be impossible for me to put it back together, so it seems I am going to have to buy one of those ebay aquarium controllers, which I am going to wire directly into the thermostat wires. Any ideas on where to get one stateside (all the ones i have found on ebay seem to ship from Hong Kong and i don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive (patience is not one of my virtues :) )

Two: My first attempt to mount a ski pole to the tap failed, I went with the hot glue suggestion, but the hot glue never gets solid enough to thread. so im back to the drawing board with that one.

first off, I would love both a Stowe and MGR trail map, seems i haven't been holding on to them over the years.

Two quick updates... first the other day when i was trying to adjust the thermostat to 38-40 the whole thing exploded, every internal piece flew across the basement, and even though i found them all it seems like it will be impossible for me to put it back together, so it seems I am going to have to buy one of those ebay aquarium controllers, which I am going to wire directly into the thermostat wires. Any ideas on where to get one stateside (all the ones i have found on ebay seem to ship from Hong Kong and i don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for it to arrive (patience is not one of my virtues :) )

Two: My first attempt to mount a ski pole to the tap failed, I went with the hot glue suggestion, but the hot glue never gets solid enough to thread. so im back to the drawing board with that one.

Then substitute the glue with the same epoxy you're going to use on the bar top. That stuff hardens like crazy.

Or, mount the pole to a nice block of wood and use that instead.

Or, find one of those actual tap handle chrome thread thingys and attach that to your ski pole.

MRG gets 2' of snow over the past few days, and forecast for the next week is 6-30". Rock on!!:rockin:

I have a Mad River, Sugarbush, and Stowe trail map with your name on it. Let me know where to mail them and they're yours. They even have that 'beat up from being in my pocket' look to them that only a good ski day can provide.

I'm heading to Aspen on Saturday. I can grab you a Snowmass, Ajax, and Highlands map as well if you need them.

I like it! Have you considered snowboard planks instead of rounded wood along the sides??

eeeewwwwwwwwwww.

Snowboarding is for weenies.

Although - if these would be chopped up snowboards taken from people currently using them, I could get behind that.

I wouldn't surround the freezer with wood, the sheet metal needs to be exposed for the coils to cool. If you want to go that route just make sure there is room for air to move around the freezer by building the wood out away from the sides.

Well I guess your project died - but mine didn't!!

Heres an old coffee table I got for free. Painted it black and stuck a whack of maps on it. Then epoxied it like I told you to. Photos do not do this thing justice. She's a beaut in the flesh.

image-3897351752.jpg

image-1223119503.jpg

paulster2626 said:

Vermont... Really? Separating the men from the boys? Have you ever been to Crested butte co where I went to college? Or out my back door at alyeska resort in ak? I think there is a reason extreme ski comps are held in both these places every year.

On another note... I like your theme here. Good to see something a lil different.

This isn't TGR, so no need to stir up ski resort debates. BUT - if you consider yourself a decent skier, no matter where your local hill is, Mad River will give you a beat down. Lift Line and Paradise are two gnarly runs. Every bit as good as Peak->Banana Funnel->Peel. And yes, they hold extreme ski comps there (MRG) as well.

Shame the ski themed keezer doesn't have any pictures, that'd be awesome to check out.

907_fellow said:
Vermont... Really? Separating the men from the boys? Have you ever been to Crested butte co where I went to college? Or out my back door at alyeska resort in ak? I think there is a reason extreme ski comps are held in both these places every year.

On another note... I like your theme here. Good to see something a lil different.

I have been everywhere, settle down. Well, no AK yet, but whatever. And yes, there is difficult and technical terrain in VT as well as everywhere else. Thing is, it's difficult to have a competition when the good lines are all covered in trees. But then, this keeps them hidden for those of us who are willing to open our minds to the fact that not everything worth skiing needs to be a cliff band above treeline.

The skiing is definitely better out west, but that doesn't mean it sucks out east.

Back