My RIS recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
So I’ve brewed this for 4 yrs now basically for my sons bday and I add bourbon and diff combos every year to change it up but this is the base stout recipe I’ve used since batch 3 and I know there’s new malts like midnight wheat and others I’d like to try so I figured I’d throw my recipe out there and see if or what you guys/gals would add/subtract especially if I wanna add say midnight wheat or debittered black malt etc. also I use 3-4lbs Dme in the boil because as a base of 23-24lbs of grain it maxes out my 10gal round cooler mashing real thick too. So here it is.

16lb Morris otter
1lb 8oz roasted barley
1lb 8oz choc malt
1lb ea of flaked barley, flaked oats and special B
12oz black patent
12oz c120
3-4lbs dark Dme in the boil at intervals so 1lb at 20,15,5. It just helps keep the boil rolling and no overflow.

Thoughts would be great. It’s a good base stout as I go for the more roast side opposed to other big ris that do that soy sauce super sweet thing. I mash at 154 with a target fg of 1.030-34 to keep some body and sweetness there.

Back