My Problem with yeast !

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

satmuts

Reaction score
Hi

I'm from a country where Alcohol is prohibited . before the Covid Virus i used to buy Johnnie Walker Red Label "1 bottle" for 780$ US dollar in the black market here . however since the Covid virus and border Lockdown i can't even find that . and i can't even travel to another country due Travel ban

so i'm planing to create my own beer / wine whatever . my probelm is with yeast . there is only bread yeast here and there is no way i can import wine / beer yeast . i'm sure the customs will Confiscation that as it's very obvious what this yeast does :D

What is my option ?
is there is a yeast brand you know doesn't make it obvious what this yeast is for in the package ?

i found this video explain how to create your own yeast but not sure how that will be effective

Thnaks for any help and advise

Last edited:
I would say that, in general, bread yeast is probably a better choice for beer than harvesting random wild yeast. Or put another way, wild yeast would be very hit or miss, because there are many species and strains possible, so it's somewhat luck of the draw. Also, you'd be likely to pick up various bacteria as well, which is usually not desirable.

thanks guys . i'm looking for a trusted one to do this for me . i will pay 100$ + all yeast cost + shipping
simply use 3 empty Fleischmann Active Dry Yeast Container and Fill it out with 3 brand of best beer / wine yeast and ship that to me 😀

I'm sure there is no way the customs service can know if this yeast for bread or beer 😀

Have a look at isolating yeast in a Google search. This would be the best bet for getting a reasonably successful wild yeast locally.

before 'yeast' were identified, didn't brewers just open the windows to get fermentation going?

Well, beer yeast has been domesticated since at least the 16th century. They didn't know what it was. But it was being re-used.

I once borrowed a trick from moonshiners and just pitched ground malted barley
instead of yeast. I haven't used yeast since. I think it turns out smoother and is easier on my digestive system. The consistency of the grind is about half way between mash grain and flour. I just call it grist. I use golden promise because it's real mild but I suppose any non roasted kind would work. If you can find some with the hulls removed it would probably be better. I just sift it to get the majority of them out. It usually starts making krauzen within 18-24 hours. The last batch I made was 7.5%, so it works just fine. I usually start with a half pound but after grinding and sifting it's probably closer to 5 or 7 oz's. It's basically making a yeast starter but letting the wort do all the work.

instead of yeast. I haven't used yeast since. I think it turns out smoother and is easier on my digestive system. The consistency of the grind is about half way between mash grain and flour. I just call it grist. I use golden promise because it's real mild but I suppose any non roasted kind would work. If you can find some with the hulls removed it would probably be better. I just sift it to get the majority of them out. It usually starts making krauzen within 18-24 hours. The last batch I made was 7.5%, so it works just fine. I usually start with a half pound but after grinding and sifting it's probably closer to 5 or 7 oz's. It's basically making a yeast starter but letting the wort do all the work.

LOL, you're not trying to fit in with my crowd are you? :mug: we don't get a lot of company, but you're always welcome!

instead of yeast. I haven't used yeast since.

We'll that'll work for a lactobacillus soured beer, assuming you can keep other bugs from taking hold.

We'll that'll work for a lactobacillus soured beer, assuming you can keep other bugs from taking hold.

not if you don't clean your fermenter.....what ver i got growing in there, doesn't let lacto, or aceto grow.......

not if you don't clean your fermenter.....what ver i got growing in there, doesn't let lacto, or aceto grow.......

If you have something that kills lactobacillus and acetobacter, but doesn't bother saccharomyces, figure out what it is and sell it.

If you have something that kills lactobacillus and acetobacter, but doesn't bother saccharomyces, figure out what it is and sell it.

i asked the group once....but i just leave my fermenter outside in the sunlight and open air to catch it....thanks to @IslandLizard 's tip...works like a charm! i know how to grow mushrooms, and that's the way you have to do it for portabella, white button's also......

I'm the OP of this Thread
for some reason when I'm logged in i can't open the site and it's very slow . when i logged out everything is fine . i created this account for test only and everything is OK . i have no idea as why my original account @satmuts is restricted . i have only 2 post and i never bother anyone

@LBussy it would be great if you can contact me @ this account until the mod fix my original account

Probably because you asked if someone would smuggle beer years in bread yeast containers into your country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back