My Plate Chiller Mount Idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drkwoods

Reaction score
I recently bought a big plate Chiller (KegCowboy) and came up with this idea of how to mount it, since it has no mount (no bolt posts etc.) I decided to use some angle Iron and drill out holes for the chiller nipples to go through. Then I could use my Type A Cam lock mounts to secure the angle iron mount to the Chiller. then I could drill the angle iron to attach it to my Brew rig. (currently wood, soon to be metal) Took my only 20 min to make and the mount is solid plus I can CIP or remove it quite quickly by removing the two type A mounts off the mpt nipple.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Here it is set up while Im running boiling wort through to steralize and whirlpool by BK. I also love being able to run down my BK temp quickly to 100 and then swapping out the QD with water from my HLT (now and ice water filled COLD liq Tank) and adjusting the ball valve to get exactly the pitch temp I want

15.jpg

I did something similar on my brewstand. I plumbed stainless piping directly into the brewstand, then put camlock fittings on everything. All I have to do to setup my brewing session is push on the chiller and RIMS tube and lock them down and I'm good to go. I'm in Europe now, but I'll post some pics when I get home (in 2 weeks).

As promised- here is what i did with my stand. I do brew in a bag, and as such only need a stand large enough for a single vessel. I still made the stand quite large in case I every go to a three vessel system. It is a stainless steel all electric RIMS system where the chiller and RIMS unit can come off easily and be disassembled or baked, or whatever I want with it. The control panel is basically what Kal did with his system, but then I added a controller for the chiller output, so all I have to do is set a temp and the rate of outflow is maximized to obtain that precise outflow temperature for the system. The flow of chilling water is also controlled through the control panel. Here are the pics:

72ltu2

iuci24

t688z4

zuyavv

For cleanup I recirculate PBW, rinse, then star san, drain, then cap the stainless tubes. I use a homemade hopstopper (now I have a purchased one as well and it seems to be much better made) and recirculate boiling wort for 15 minutes through the system. While I have had a clogged hopstopper (never during recirculation, though), I have never had any slowing down of the flow rate from the chiller, and I bake it at 550 after every session so it is stored sterile, and so it turns any potential trapped material in the chiller to a fine ashy powder.

The kettle sit on a scale which I use to monitor volumes and compute efficiencies. I have not yet plumbed in the inline carbon filter which will split off the chiller supply line and supply the kettle with water when needed. It was easier for me to do things by weight as thee is not a level surface in the yard and I like the accuracy of it.

Wow. That's insane. Your control box is larger than your kettle.!

Killer plumbing job. I dig low profile designs.

To OP- nice job with the mount. I have mine very similar except that I got the dudadiesel with back mounting studs and I mount mine above the HLT (all drips go in the tun). I think that anyone interested in mounting their plate chiller needs to do it in a way that is easily removable. There is a lot of water that's left in the chiller and you have to shake it out. I even blow the chiller out with pressure (CO2) and have to remove it after that. Mine is similarly mounted as OP, in a horizontal position. I have thumb screws going thru a metal backplate and then into the plate chiller and remove to shake out every brew otherwise I'll get bugs.

Here it is set up while Im running boiling wort through to steralize and whirlpool by BK. I also love being able to run down my BK temp quickly to 100 and then swapping out the QD with water from my HLT (now and ice water filled COLD liq Tank) and adjusting the ball valve to get exactly the pitch temp I want

Pretty smart.

Back