My pint glasses are stuck together :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goose_on_fire

Reaction score
So my wife put the pint glasses one inside the other while they were still hot out of the dishwasher (I know, I know, one more reason not to put them in there in the first place) and now they are firmly stuck together.

Anyone have any tips for getting them apart? I'd rather not crack either one, and I've wiggled them around as much as I'm comfortable doing (that's what she said?).

Thanks!

Just run them under hot water from the faucet for a little bit. warm up the outer glass and it will expand enough to release the glass inside.

well, if you have cold water in the upper one, and pour hot water over the lower one, that may be your best chance.

This happens in bars and restaurants all the time. If they are bar quality (commercial quality) you can lay them flat on their side on a table, then gently bang them on the table a few times. I have successfully seperated dozens of glasses in my career this way without ever breaking one. Be very careful, just because I've never broken one does not mean that you won't.

Use a hammer on the outer one... When it shatters, covering everyone and everything in tiny shard of certain death, retrieve the inner glass with your bloodied hand...

Just kiddin...

Try the water trick... And for the love of pete, be careful...

If the water tricks don't work.... put it back in the dishwasher and take it out when it's hot and I would imagine they would pull apart.

i'd go with hot/cold
except I'd put the ice water in first. then set the glasses upright in hot water for a bit.

and if that don't work, wash em again and take em apart as soon as they are done washing.

and if that down work id try and lube something between them

and if that didnt work, I'd break em both and buy 6 new ones to replace them.

Life is good! I have separated the glasses, and all manner of things shall be well!
If the water tricks don't work.... put it back in the dishwasher and take it out when it's hot and I would imagine they would pull apart.
Unfortunately, this plan was stillborn. We just got a new dishwasher about a month ago-- I installed the damned thing, but haven't yet admitted to SWMBO that I haven't read the instruction manual and have absolutely no idea how to make it turn on. I've been lucky so far in that every time I've had to load it, it's not full enough to need to run. The first time it's full, I'm just going to dump a handfull of soap in it and mash buttons like I'm playing Street Fighter Alpha. Sometimes that works.
yeah. good idea. ice in the middle one, hot water on the outer one.
This one scared me, to be frank. I"m assuming most of you, being no doubt of legal age to imbibe alcoholic beverages in whatever particular demesne you inhabit, are familiar with the sorcerer known as Mr. Wizard, and the bit of witchcraft he performed in which he crushed a steel container using nothing but the opposite elemental powers of Heat and Cold ("Water can't crush it!" proclaimed the naive twelve-year-old Timmy, no doubt lured into the warlock's studio set with promises of candy and green plastic army men). The potentially destructive power of temperature differentials deterred me from this course of action.
This happens in bars and restaurants all the time. If they are bar quality (commercial quality) you can lay them flat on their side on a table, then gently bang them on the table a few times. I have successfully seperated dozens of glasses in my career this way without ever breaking one. Be very careful, just because I've never broken one does not mean that you won't.
And in the end, the simplest answer is enough to solve my problem and embarass me for a little bit for asking silly-ass questions. Thanks!

This thread makes me think "how many homebrewers does it take to screw in a light bulb". I guess in the end the KISS method worked. I was half expecting you to post back with pictures of a sutured up wrist and a large medical bill. Glad it didn't come to that! :mug:

Back