My Oktoberfest is really dark

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
I made the Oktoberfest kit from Brewer's Best. It was in the primary for 4 or 5 weeks and now it is in the secondary outside in the garage lagering. I wrapped it in a blanket, plastic, and put a box over it so it won't freeze. Anyways, it is really dark. Was there a problem in the process? No, I have not tasted it. And no, there doesn't seem to be an infection. Nothing is at the top of the carboy to tell me it is infected.

If it's clear (and it should be after that much time!), the beer will always look darker in the carboy than in a glass. I'm not the most patient person in the world, so I'd probably be inclined to sanitize a turkey baster or something and take a sample, to taste it and to check the color (as well as check the FG!).

What was the recipe? Sometimes extract beers are just darker than hoped.

For lack of better reference, it looks darker in the carboy like your pee looks darker in the toilet bowl once it is all in there, more light refraction.

oh, i took the FG before putting it in garage and it was exactly where it needed to be. Thanks for the advice. When I was transfering it was a little lighter. I guess I am just used to generic name brand Oktoberfests.

I brewed this too and it looks very dark in the carboy, especially a bucket, but it will be a lovely shade of red in the glass.

Latest posts

Back