My nut brown ale finished fermenting in 5 days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cashscraft

Reaction score
My nut brown ale finished fermenting in 5 days im going to bottle today. Cant wait to try it out its my first NB kit

Take gravity readings to be sure it is finished! Better yet wait another week or three to let the yeast finish cleaning up the byproducts created during the peak of fermentation.

The biggest source of "what happened to my beer" posts is rushing things!

I have taken a sg 2 days in a row and if its the same today I was thinking of bottling it. Do you think thats premature every thing is pointing me to beleave its done and it can condition in the bottle

Cashscraft said:
I have taken a sg 2 days in a row and if its the same today I was thinking of bottling it. Do you think thats premature every thing is pointing me to beleave its done and it can condition in the bottle

Also the SG is at 1.010 from 1.050 making the ABV 5.37%

Those English yeasts finish up pretty quick. That's darn good attenuation too. How'd it taste? If it tastes good, and the gravity is stable, no harm in bottling.

But, and a big but, no harm in letting it go a bit longer. Sometimes gravity is stable but conditioning isn't done. Be patient. Personally, I'd give it a few more days and taste it again to see how it changes/improves.

TyTanium said:
Those English yeasts finish up pretty quick. That's darn good attenuation too. How'd it taste? If it tastes good, and the gravity is stable, no harm in bottling.

But, and a big but, no harm in letting it go a bit longer. Sometimes gravity is stable but conditioning isn't done. Be patient. Personally, I'd give it a few more days and taste it again to see how it changes/improves.

Thanks im a newish HBer ill take your advice and not bottle tell sunday

It is probably at final gravity but the yeast will still be cleaning up after their fermenting work. The earliest I would bottle would be 5 days after final gravity is reached.

You will find that the most common is to primary ferment between 3-4 weeks then bottle.

I have been doing 3 weeks since my first few where I did a primary for a week then secondary for 2 weeks.

I feel that anything less than 2 full weeks or longer will not give your beer the chance to go from beer, to good beer, to better beer, and even to the best it could be.

For bottling store them at about 70° for at least 2 weeks before cooling one to check the carbonation. Depending on the recipe it might take much longer. The brown ale might be ready in 2 or 2 weeks.

My kit directions say nothing about secondary do you think I could do it any way. Take it from my plastic fermenter to my glass carboy for a week or more?

My kit directions say nothing about secondary do you think I could do it any way. Take it from my plastic fermenter to my glass carboy for a week or more?

I wouldn't its unnecessary. just give this another week and it should be plenty clear and ready to bottle

No need for this style. Just leave it. Start planning your next batch to take your mind off this one :)

I've never left a beer in primary for three weeks. I can see no reason not to bottle the beer when it's ready to be bottled. If you make sure the beer is at FG (as shown by stable gravity readings) and the beer is clear or pretty clear, it's fine to bottle it.

patience is rewarded. don't be in a rush and your beer will turn out better! get a couple more beers going!

:mug: I always do 2 1/2 to 3 weeks in the Primary. Buy some more buckets and get the pipeline going and there will be no need to rush it.

Back