My Next Experiment!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFear1980

Reaction score
Ok my next batch is going to be a Banana Brew or possibly a Strawberry Banana Brew I havnt decided yet. Im not big on flavored beers but since Im in charge I can prob make a slaming recipe.My question is fresh fruit or my homebrew shops flavoring? The guy at my shop was really pushing his stuff but Im not sure if its just to make a sale or am I really better off.Any advice and/ or recipes. My gut says fresh fruit or a combination of both but I havnt got bad advice yet

IME, 1 batch with flavored extract, I wouldn't do it again. I added half the recommended amount and got a Pledge flavored beer. The fruit seems easier to control with sampling until you are satisfied.

PS. Strawberry Banana beer sounds nice.

Go with a blonde............strawberry banana blonde ale...... has a nice sound to it.

Use the fruit. If anything go fruit and a tiny about of extra more for the aroma.

I actually posted a similar threa about an apricot summer ale I wanted too create..my local hbs was really pushin for me to use two full giant cans from their shop..my gut said forget that I'm goin fresh and purée it and freeze it in sanitized mason jars..being apricots arnt in season here in Cali yet I opted for peaches which did not have the flavor I was looking for.. Long story short I Scratched the peaches out of my recipe to see how the brew came out as a plain pale ale. Came out great just need to make some adjustments to my hop additions to get what I want so Tuesday I'm going for it.. A strawberry bananna blonde summer ale can't wait!

i'd thought about banana as well. can you use the dried banana chips they sell in the grocery store rather than fresh bananas? i would think the flavor would be more concentrated with the dried fruit.

ideas?

Why freeze? I was thinking of blending my fruits and cooking it from the begining! I thinki boiling would santize nicely. Anyone think a mix of fresh and extracts is a good idea or should I just go fresh? Yes I was thinking a blonde ale or posibly a pale ale. Im going to brew it Saturday I'll keep you all posted on how it comes out. Btw my Golden Ale came out great once I tweeked it. I did have a handful of flat beers I must have capped em a lil off

When I make "fruit" beers, I always use fresh fruit either pureed or squeezed for the juice. I then put the fruit juice or puree into secondary and rack onto it once FG is reached. Of course, the fructose will kick start the yeast into more fermentation. Usually about two weeks in secondary and it goes to the bottling bucket or keg.

I always taste my beer at bottling/kegging time and most times it is good to go. It you want more of the fruit flavor, you can add extract at this time. It has always worked well for me to do it this way. Just be sure to add it little by little and taste as you go. A little goes a long way!:mug:

Back