My name is Sean, and I loose hopped in a keg.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanppp

Reaction score
"Hi Sean."
"Hi... Well, it's been about two weeks ago since.. the incident." ...

I have one of those excellent Clear Beer Draught Systems (http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com/) which requires using a short dip tube on the beer out side with the Clear Beer hose on it. Well, I thought I'd try to just put the Clear Beer tube on the normal beer out line. What happened is the tube has gotten kinked, thus no beer comes out. I loose hopped in the keg, so my attempt to open up the top and syphon to a new keg has been extremely unsuccessful, as all those hop bits are acting as nucleation sites causing insane bubbling.

What to do?

Just take the CBD out, clean it, put it back with a short dip tube. What's stopping you?

The second I try to remove the diptube the beer volcanoes out because of the loose hop particles provding nucleation sites.

You could uncarb the beer. Ive done this by blowing out the co2, then shake the keg some. Wait an hour for the beer to settle and repeat till its flat enough to work with. Make sure you wait the hour or you will paint your celing with beer when you release the co2

For future use, CBD has a mesh filter you can install on the pickup tube of the CBD itself to eliminate hop residue when serving.

I'm on similar learning curve with CBD. Dry hopped in keg and no flow. Released pressure with PRV and took off poppet and it seemed ok not fouled. Hooked it back up still no flow. Hooked CO2 up to beer post and blew out the CBD thinking my screen must be clogged. Tried it again still no flow. Depressurized head space and opened the keg. The CBD float came off the tube. Pulled that out and reattached the float to the bracket. But wont stay on the bracket because the little nipple closure and ring gasket came off. No sign of them Guess in bottom of keg. Used a piece of aluminum foil and a spare ring gasket to block up the open end of the CBD. Set it all back up. Still no flow. Depressurized head space and took apart the poppet again. Quite fouled this time. Cleaned it and I'm in business.

Lessons learned:
Make sure the float is screwed onto the bracket well.
Don't try to blow back through the CBD with 12 PSI CO2. If need to clear the hops maybe depressurize head space and try 1-2 PSI. Not sure that will work but definitely don't hit it with enough pressure to blow off the nipple.

Back