Best floating dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnagel

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Currently I'm using the "Clear Beer Draught System" with screen filter and it has worked flawlessly over multiple batches. I need to buy one more and I saw the FLOT2.0 got good reviews and it's less money ($29 vs $53 for Clear Beer shipped). I know there are some even cheaper versions out there and I see some hacks to fix any issues, but it would be nice to just buy something that works right out of the gate like the Clear Beer has. What do you think is the best bang for your buck with floating dip tubes that work well without having to mess with it?

Last edited:
Currently I'm using the "Clear Beer Draught System" with screen filter and it has worked flawlessly over multiple batches. I need to buy one one more and I saw the FLOT2.0 got good reviews and it's less money ($29 vs $53 for Clear Beer shipped). I know there are some cheaper versions out there and I see some hacks to fix any issues, but it would be nice to just buy something that works right out of the gate like the Clear Beer has. What do you think is the best bang for your buck with floating dip tubes that work well without having to mess with it?
I’ve always used the CBDS. I bought my first one when they first came out and I now have them in 10 of my 14 kegs. Other than an occasional change of tubing or end caps I’ve never had an issue.
If it ain’t broke……

I’ve always used the CBDS. I bought my first one when they first came out and I now have them in 10 of my 14 kegs. Other than an occasional change of tubing or end caps I’ve never had an issue.
If it ain’t broke……
Quoted for truth. You're probably not wrong, but the cheap ass in my is looking to save a few bucks.

I have the classic ball that comes with the fermzillar pressure kit, but then switched to the FLOT2.0 after reading the reviews as comparing it to the classic ball. The FLOAT 2.0 lives up to the reviews. The dual screen doesn't clog and the design doesn't stir up trub getting more wort.

I have the classic ball that comes with the fermzillar pressure kit, but then switched to the FLOT2.0 after reading the reviews as comparing it to the classic ball. The FLOAT 2.0 lives up to the reviews. The dual screen doesn't clog and the design doesn't stir up trub getting more wort.
That's good to know. Thanks.

I have both (many of both, actually). The FLOTit 2.0 wins on price, of course (also, it comes with screens, rather than needing extra). I find that both work well, but I've on rare occasions had the CBDS not always empty out my keg, while I've never had that problem with the FLOTit. The FLOTit is also more compact, and (in my very subjective view) more elegantly engineered.

One thing to call out: the FLOTit has a tapered short dip tube, with the idea being that you can feed your flexible silicone line up through the post, put it on the dip tube taper outside the keg, and avoid reaching into the keg at an awkward angle to push the silicone onto the dip tube. This does not work for me at all, and in order to get the silicone to reliably stay on I always have to reach into the keg and push it up the dip tube. Of course, that's the only way to attach the silicone to the dip tube for the CBDS, so no real advantage either way.

Can anybody compare the flow rate of the FLOTit 2.0 vs the 1.x model? I have a pair of the 1.x models that I have only used a few times. I find it drastically reduces the flow rate over a standard pick up tube. I think this is just due to the 1.x design. There is a screen that is about 1 inch long, but 3/4 of the screen is inside the float, leaving only a small room for beer to flow through the screen. The 2.0 model looks like a better design with a much longer section of screen available for beer.

I've used CBDS (end cap silicone keeps crapping out on me), had very good luck with the TopDraw (from Williams for instance but seems to be the fermzilla by looks), and I have also made the DIY one here.

The TopDraw wins for me. The ThinkGenius guy even gave a source for it at AliExpress for $10, I've not tried it.

The ThinkGenius guy even gave a source for it at AliExpress for $10, I've not tried it.
For the AliExpress shoppers, here are some possibilities that seem to work:
Capture2.jpeg

Capture.JPG

I have also made the DIY one here.
That design makes me wonder if I could change the configuration on my FLOTit 1.x. The float used looks exactly like the one used by the FLOTit. Instead of sticking the mesh tube through the middle of the float, I could use a small piece of wire so that the entire length of mesh tubing is exposed to beer.

That design makes me wonder if I could change the configuration on my FLOTit 1.x. The float used looks exactly like the one used by the FLOTit. Instead of sticking the mesh tube through the middle of the float, I could use a small piece of wire so that the entire length of mesh tubing is exposed to beer.
I found the wire tricky to make it perfectly symmetrical and easily turns as it descends, and more importantly, stay frigging connected as I clean my kegs with the method of picking up the keg full of cleaner/rinse/starsan and upend it back and forth.

simple and basic. should not need a screen on a floating dip tube. won't the hops sink?
IMG_2271.JPG

FLOTits work great. I've added the filters to the other ball floats I have and they work just as well. No nut is needed and no beer is left behind. Beter yet is not much yeast is in the last pour.

I have the flotit filters on all of my balls.

I have the CBDS, and it was fine. I got some Flotit 2 and these things are the best. Ferment and serve from the same keg. Just kicked a Helles and I'm curious to see how much beer is left on the bottom.
That’s good to know.

So I ended up ordering the Floatit 2.0. I plan to brew in the next week or so so we’ll see how it goes.

Back