My lucky day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patro

Reaction score
Brew days usually run pretty smoothly for me, but today was an exception. I had a smokey bock, and an octoberfest on deck. I was stirring the mash after doughing in the first brew when the wife asks me to make a run to the grocery store. I have an hour, no problem. 20 minutes later I'm leaving the grocery store to head home and heat my sparge water. As I'm putting the groceries in the trunk the neighbor walks by. I turn to say hey, and slam the trunk shuts. My keys locked up tight with the groceries. By the time I finally get home and back to brewing my mash has been sitting for close to 2 hours. Not the end of the world, and I finish up.

Round two. Mash goes well on the octoberfest. Go to start heating the sparge water and click... click... something's wrong with my burner. I grab random pots and pans and heat my sparge water in 1 gallon batches while I try and figure out how I'm going to boil 7 gallons of wort in 2 quart saucepans. In the end my decision was to brew over a fire. I build a fire set up some rocks and a grill grate. This mash goes over time too, but I'm finally boiling. Looks like I might have myself two smokey brews this fall.

With all of the frustrations it was still better than not brewing at all. Hope the next one is a little smoother though. Anyone have burner recommendations?

Good god. I would panic.
As for burners, although I just bought an el cheapo master built, I long for the Blichmann Floor Standing Burner.

I have a turkey fryer for my HLT and a Bayou Classic SP10 for my BK. The SP10 gets to boiling in less than 10 minutes. I plan on replacing the fryer with another SP10 at some point. If one of my burners quits I still have the other one. 5 gallon batches.

I use the Blichmann and it is outstanding. I recommend getting the leg extensions if you buy it.

I hear that sooo many time, hold on...........I had to go outside and kick my el cheapo burner from the Big Sports Store.

Some day...some day...some day....

I'm happy with my generic "outdoor burner". 54K BTUs (claimed), handles my 10G brew pot with no problem and once I get a boil going I can turn it wayyy down and still maintain the boil. Half the price of the Blichmann, but half as pretty, too (and on paper, only 2/3 the BTUs). If I was in the market, I'd probably get the Blichmann, but my burner was a birthday present, so it's not going to be replaced any time soon.

Back