My Kolsch transformed itself

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewnscooter

Reaction score
I brewed a "Brewer's Best" Kolsch kit back in May. 3 Weeks Primary, 1 week secondary. I tried a bottle after two weeks in the bottle and it was..uh..Awful! I gave it another week and tried another. Still awful. Another week and yep, still awful. Now, by awful I mean this...Up front it smelled like a Kolsch and tasted like a Kolsch, but the after taste was absolutely horrible. I could not finish a glass. Being a noob, I felt like dumping the rest out and be rid of my science experiment gone wrong. But, because of all the posts I've read here about not ever giving up on a beer, I placed a few in the back of my fridge and forgot about them. Last weekend (about 10 weeks in the bottle) it called to me...I popped another one... It was fabulous! Perfectly clear, perfectly carbonated, taste was awesome. Damn glad I didn't dump it!!

kinda odd...how was it 'awful? bitter? sour? buttery? hoppy?

Kolsch is pretty clean beer, and they're often drunk very young and not aged much. Kinda curious what was in yours contributing and after taste that took 10 weeks to age out.

but, patience paid off!

Just curious,

When you secondaried did you "lager" it? I ask because I am thinking of doing one, but have heard it's optional to do a cold secondary and also that it's a must do. I can't yet.

Just curious,

When you secondaried did you "lager" it? I ask because I am thinking of doing one, but have heard it's optional to do a cold secondary and also that it's a must do. I can't yet.

Hijack alert.

It is not a must do. I lager my kolsch's when I feel like footing the bill for my lager fridge being on. My "house ale" is a kolsch that has varrying amounts of orange and corriander each time I make it, which i'm sure the BJCP guys would yell at me for.

Each one I've made, guessing 15 or so, has been enjoyable. I make it about once a month, and if you're a Kolsch fan you'll be very happy with the result either way. It DEF clears up a lot more with a 4 week lager at 48 (in secondary) then a 3 week 68 ferment and bottle. But if you don't care, then you'll be fine with that yeast used as the ale yeast it is.

kinda odd...how was it 'awful? bitter? sour? buttery? hoppy?

It's kinda hard to explain. I guess bitter would best describe it. It was just very unpalatable. It may have not taken a whole 10 weeks to age out. Heck, it may have been good at week 5 and I just didn't try it.. The only thing I can think of that may have been a culprit is, I had some issues with my digital thermometer and I wound up pitching my yeast at about 58. In turn, I had about a 72 hour lag time before any signs of fermentation. Other than that, everything went well.

Just curious,

No, I didn't. Everything was done at my basement temp which is a pretty constant 65-68. A friend of mine who got me interested in brewing and who I would consider quite an authority on brewing just tried one and said it was one of the best Kolsch's he's ever tasted, so I would say it is not a "must do". I think you do want to ferment at the lowest possible temp though.

My "house ale" is a kolsch that has varrying amounts of orange and corriander each time I make it, which i'm sure the BJCP guys would yell at me for.

Would love to hear more about this. Sounds like a SWMBO-friendly brew.

Back