My Keezer; heat, circulation and dehumidifying

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wishingiwasfishing

Reaction score
Hi all!

I thought I'd post a few photos of my keezer build, in particular to the areas of heating, circulation and dehumidifying.

My keezer is outside in my pole building throughout the year. Living in Northern Illinois, we get some cold winters. Never once did I have a problem with my keezer not being heated properly. Even a few years ago when we were colder that -15f...I think it even hit in over 20 below, without wind chill.

For temperature control I use an InkBird 308. For heat, as you can see, I use a hair dryer. I chose to go with a hair dryer over other considerations for a few reasons. Having done the reptile bulb before, I knew that I didn't like how breakable it is. Even when putting protections in place, it was always a issue for me...it was like a sore thumb sticking right out there. Then I got to thinking about the way a hair dryer would heat. Gentle, but with it's own circulation getting the heat throughout the chamber with the blowing air. Another plus is that it's cheap. If you don't have an extra in the house, ask friends and family or take a trip to Goodwill.

I've got a few fridges and freezers using InkBird controllers for beer control. This Keezer, but also a beer fridge (that you can see right next to the keezer) and also a fermentation chamber. For each of these I use the hair dryer with good results. Gentle heat, circulation of that heat in a package that's not fragile. I am by no means saying that there aren't other good choices out there...but these were some of the thoughts and reasons I made the choice that I did.

For dehumidifying I am using Ivation IVDM10. I've tried the EVAdry E500's. I was not happy at all with the EVAdry products...they may have been handy when we used to have a boat, keeping humidity out of the cabin area...but it wasn't adequate enough to deal with the moisture in the keezer...and excess moisture is something you surely don't want. The Ivation is working well so far, but we haven't hit summertime yet. I'll be interested to see how it does when we get our humid summers. I'll certainly update the thread with further information on the performance of the Ivation, I hope it does well. My brother also has one in his DIY curing chamber...and it's worked well in there so far.

Wood for the collar is rough sawn cedar. It was a little bit more money...but for an extra 30-40 dollars...I thought I'd be happy I paid it years from now. I keep my co2 tank outside of the keezer, as I don't want to take up extra room inside. SS drip tray was ordered from Amazon.

Here are some pictures (certainly not perfect...but it's mine:))...

keezer%20inside_zpsg1n7dfse.jpg

keezer_zpsmxrfuadq.jpg

keezer%20afar_zpsdubjg1oq.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice. I like the drip tray idea. I might do something like it for mine.

Back