My idea for serving my beer at upcoming party and a wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulshe

Reaction score
I've got enough requests for serving my beer at parties (and at some point this year my daughter's wedding). So I've been pondering the best setup for this.

First idea: Jockey box. But it looks a little too jockey box to me and it's not the cheapest endeavor either.

Second idea: One of those many garbage can conversions. Actually one or two look pretty nice. Drape around the can and a nice wood top.

But then I thought about my other requirement. I want to serve up to 4 beers or maybe even 5. So I got to thinking of doing this:

Buy a couple relatively cheap 48 gallon coolers (or if I could find smaller ones that fit 2 kegs) that can easily fit two kegs per cooler and would allow at least half the keg to be in ice. I figure this is enough to keep the beer cold. The build a "bar" top by getting a nice piece of wood and add folding legs to it (or alternately just buy a folding table and replace the top). On the top I'll attach two 2 tap towers. Add some material and skirt to hang from the table. This way I have a fairly portable up to 4 kegs dispensing beer station. The cost would only be the wood, the coolers and a bunch of serving tubes.

One question is around how well the coolers will keep it cold? Should I build out (or rather up) some insulated box around each cooler? I'm thinking that a keg half way buried in ice is going to have no problem keeping the beer cold (I would pre-chill the kegs).

Thoughts? Any other ideas?
-paul

I've had success with pouring cold beer with at least half the kegs being covered with ice. Most beer festivals operate in the same way. The beer pulls from the bottom via the dip tube, so that helps too. Sounds like a plan. However, depending where/when your having the event (dead of summer, if your outside, and the length of the event), you may want to consider a box of some sort. If your inside with AC, I wouldn't worry about it.

I'd make a couple special stashes for my family/friends, bottle/keg them, throw them in a cooler/trash can with ice to take to rehearsal/wedding/reception, and give them out to just a select few. I wouldn't want to worry about making all of this beer, transporting, keeping it cold, etc. Seems to me that would take priority over daughter's wedding. There is enough to worry about the weeks/days leading up; beer can take up a lot of time. If your daughter has asked you for this, then that would a different story! Hopefully she wants this too!

My daughter did request it. Also, a two different people from work have asked about serving at parties that they have. So I figure that there is enough interest to do something a little nice. As far as the beer I've got the queue full. 5 kegs in various levels of full and after this morning 2 fermenters full so I need to give a bunch away. No date on the wedding but it will be later in the year. One party is for start of may so the two beers that are bubbling away will be for that and I'll augment with one of my current batches.

I had a buddy brew all the beer for a wedding. He brought his keezer in his pickup. I'd consider that, no need to build anything and no mess - keep in mind with coolers and ice there will be a lot of water from the melted ice to deal with, whether it is dumping it or condensation runoff. If it's a small keezer you could keep the extra cornies on ice and switch out when necessary. Just food for thought!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Im trying to get this done in time for a st. Pattys day party. Fits 3 cornys in it with room to spare for co2 bottle. Planning on freezing water filled milk jugs to throw in there to keep the temp down..just stained it today..i hope this pics are not huge sending this from my phone..

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Home Brew mobile app

1395042619292.jpg

1395042639568.jpg

1395042669283.jpg

Back