My Hops don't Smell like Hops Any more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
I have a question about the current odor of my dried and packaged cascade hops. While harvesting them they smelled fantastic however now after some time and being packaged they do not smell like hops should. I am getting the odor of tea leaves is the best way I can describe it. Does anybody else have experience with this and if so what does it mean? My centennials smell a lot more hoppier than the Cascades however they also have a slight tea leaf smell.

A lot of that big smell you get is the oils/aromas evaporating away. After time they settle down and so does the smell. If they were packaged in air tight bags, that would slow the process. Cold temperatures also slow it down.

If you want to make sure, take a few and rub it between your hands to release the smell. If that doesn't smell like anything, either its the variety or maybe they were held at too high of a temperature for too long.

Latest posts

Back