My Hop Garden? - 6 Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marktic

Reaction score
Any advice/direction on my first hop garden?

This is my current idea anyway. I was planning on the main pole being about 16 feet or so tall. The plants themselves would be planted a little lower, and with the angle to the top of the pole, it would allow for maybe 20 feet in growing length. The rhizomes would be spaced 4 feet apart. If I used a 10 foot cross piece on the pole, the plants would then be two feet apart at the top if they stretched that high.

Does this look like it would work? I hope to plant 6 different varieties, I am curious if this setup would give enough space between the vines.

Any better ideas out there for this location?

Hey Mark, Id suggest boxing the sides to keep them seperate. I think over the years they like to wander. Might have trouble with the growth overlapping. I have mine in 3x3' boxes with 2-3' between each box.

Thanks. So rather than a full box, would a single 2x6 in the ground between the plants be enough that they don't mingle? I will also mulch each plant. I have 5 varieties to put in the ground...Centennial, Chinook, Nugget, Willamette, and 2 Cascades. I was thinking of putting the cascades a little closer together, to give the other varieties more room. I fell a dead cedar yesterday which I will use for this project.

I have harvested rhizomes as deep as 9" on some bines. You might want to use something like some old metal roofing and get it down about 1 foot deep to make sure the bines will not intermingle with treated wood at the top.. I have mine set up in different rows but that is not an option for what you are doing. I also heard of a grower (customer) have problems with termites last year eating the bines because of wood in the ground attracted them. Cedar should work great for the box. Hope it helped.

Latest posts

Back