My first try at a recipe...APA...will it work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

originalben

Reaction score
Have been an extract guy...and not even that for a couple months, but getting back into it this weekend with a wheat kit from my LHBS, as well this recipe I came up with... will it work, guys?

10 LBS American 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1oz Cascade at 60 minutes
.75 Centennial at 30
.5 Cascade at 5

Undecided Ale yeast...

I went ahead and picked up a #50 of 2 row and have Cascade and Centennial on hand, but the crystal and vienna -or whatever is suggested I would pick up Friday.

What thinketh the experts?

do you have additional Cascade and Centennial? If so, I'd use them as both late hop additions and dry hop additions.

Personally, I dont use crystal in APA/IPA but many do. That's up to your palette. I do think a # of crystal is a might heavy.

The ratio of 2 row to vienna looks pretty good to me.

Let us know how it turns out.

:mug:

Have been an extract guy...and not even that for a couple months, but getting back into it this weekend with a wheat kit from my LHBS, as well this recipe I came up with... will it work, guys?

10 LBS American 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
1 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1oz Cascade at 60 minutes
.75 Centennial at 30
.5 Cascade at 5

Undecided Ale yeast...

I went ahead and picked up a #50 of 2 row and have Cascade and Centennial on hand, but the crystal and vienna -or whatever is suggested I would pick up Friday.

What thinketh the experts?

Looks okay.

I would move the hops around a bit.

Centennial .5 10 min
Cascade .5 at 10 (if you have more .5oz 0 min)
Centennial .25 0 min (unless you have more then .5oz)

five or six gallons? either way, what i say below still applies:

a pound of crystal is not that bad, really. you are going to want to mash this on the lower end of the mash temp range, 148 to 150. With that low mash temp, your beer will benefit by having a good bit of sweetness and body from the crystal malts.

This isn't an APA though, this is more of an American IPA.

So... yeah, this works! :mug:

Mashing in a low temoerature range will get you more alcohol and less body. I would stay around 154F.

Remember:

M=More A=Alcohol L=low T=temperature

MALT

Mashing in a low temoerature range will get you more alcohol and less body. I would stay around 154F.

Remember:

M=More A=Alcohol L=low T=temperature

MALT

Well if you want the body and sweetness to come from your base malt, then by all means mash at 154 F. You will probably want to reduce your crystal malts in this case.

I've made a lot of beers, and many a SMaSH at that. My experience suggests that body and sweetness from caramelized malts and sugar syrups makes for a better tasting beer than body and sweetness from base malts. But to each his own.

Personally I would use an ounce of each hop addition. I normally never use much less than 3 ounces in a 5 gallon batch...an IPA would be 5 +

I have 8oz of each that I bought last year-air tight and vacuum packed that have been in the fridge- I assume they'll be fine to use. I'll go with 1oz each and add a late addition and drop the malt to .5lb...haven't decided temp yet...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well if you want the body and sweetness to come from your base malt, then by all means mash at 154 F. You will probably want to reduce your crystal malts in this case.

I've made a lot of beers, and many a SMaSH at that. My experience suggests that body and sweetness from caramelized malts and sugar syrups makes for a better tasting beer than body and sweetness from base malts. But to each his own.

Agreed

I'd skip the 30 minute addition, and either move 1/2 of it to 60 minutes if you need more bittering, or to 15 minutes or less for more flavor and aroma.

In most cases, I think 30 minute hops are a waste. They don't give you their full bittering, but they are boiled too long to get much flavor and/or aroma. I'd go with 60 minute additions, 15 minute additions, 5 minute additions and flame out additions.

I have 8oz of each that I bought last year-air tight and vacuum packed that have been in the fridge- I assume they'll be fine to use. I'll go with 1oz each and add a late addition and drop the malt to .5lb...haven't decided temp yet...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Either way, I think your adding hops at 30min for flavor and you should be adding flavor hops at no more than 15min. Preferably 10 min. IMO

Personally I'd increase your hops to up the IBU's, but thats up to your taste. I love a good strong hop presence, both in bittering and aroma.

Have you decided on your yeast yet? I've made APAs with wyeast 1056 and 1272, and also Safale S-05 with good results.

So, here's what I am now thinkin'...

10 LBS American 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 60 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 15 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 5 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 0 minutes

Safale S-05

So, for several different reasons, had to postpone this from last week till this weekend.

I've adapted the recipe per suggestions in this thread and I think it looks good.
My concern is that I popped it into Hopville calculator and the IBUs come out to 96...
Is that gonna be too high?
I love hoppy, but will it be too unbalanced?
10 LBS American 2 Row
2 lbs Vienna
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40L
1ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 60 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 15 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 5 minutes
.5ozeach Centennial and Cascade at 0 minutes

Safale S-05

My concern is that I popped it into Hopville calculator and the IBUs come out to 96...

96 sounds correct, you have way too much hop for an APA

Try:
.5ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 60 minutes
.5ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 15 minutes
.5ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 5 minutes
.5ozeach Cascade and Centennial at 0 minutes

That will bring you to around 45IBU. Personally, I would cut the 15min addition down to 10min, but I like my hop additions late. That would bring you down to about 42IBU which would be great for a 1.055 beer or so.

I'm good with an IPA vs the APA;^)
I adjusted the 15 minute adds to 10 and dropped the 60 minute adds to .5 and it produced a projected 57 IBU, which I'm fine with if accurate.

This will be the first time I've done all grain-albeit BIAB, milled my own 2row Vienna and Crystal and made up a recipe...so, I'm looking forward to tomorrow;^)

this is what I am looking at- not sure what I'm doing wrong- although it seems the default aa% for the hops are higher...

Original Gravity
1.067 / 16.4° Plato
(1.060 to 1.070)
Final Gravity
1.018 / 4.6° Plato
(1.016 to 1.020)
Color
0° SRM / 0.0° EBC measured
(6° SRM estimated)
(Yellow to Gold)
Mash Efficiency
75%