My first stout: comments please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superflyguy

Reaction score
evening all. i'm new to the brewing and the forum. after a few succesful blonds and bitters i am venturing to the dark side and would really appreacite anyones view on how this might turn out?

Malts
% LB OZ KG
54% 3 4.91 1.5 Muntons Plain Extra Light DME
Late Boil
18% 1 1.64 .5 Muntons Plain Extra Light DME
Boil
7% ~ 7.05 .2Muscovado Sugar, Dark (Barbados Sugar)
Late Boil
5% ~ 5.29 .15 Roasted Barley - 550L
Steep
5% ~ 5.29 .15 Chocolate Malt (UK)
Steep
5% ~ 5.29 .15 Crystal 80L
Steep
5% ~ 5.29 .15 Crystal 200L
Steep

time OZ grams Hop AA
60 min 1.058 30 Fuggles 3.9
40 min 0.705 20 Fuggles 3.9
I5 min 0.423 12 Bramling Cross 7.3

5.3 Gallons
Wyeast Irish 1084

i'm aiming for a fairly standard stout flavour with a hint of the blackcurrant from BramlingX

ta muchly
ta

what is the sugar for???? that seems pretty odd in a stout. are you trying to use this to boost the ABV? if so i would go with more extract as sugar can give you some flavors you would not expect

thanks.
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that sugar gives a dry finish. I'll try amending with more extract.

Any ideas what sort of flavours sugar may add, I assume some sweetness but what else?

Beet sugar is common in extract Imperial Stouts. Now, I don’t do extract and have never used beet sugar but I assume it’s neutral in taste while pushing up the abv… using too much extract can make it difficult to balance your desired profile.

I'd be worried that this would have a real thin, watery taste and mouthfeel.
I would steep .5 - 1 pound of something flaked, either barley or oats to help with that.
If you want to add sugar for sweetness, I'd use lactose sugar (assuming your not lactose intolerant).
Crystal 200 is kind of weird in my opinion, it's not really sweet or roasty, it's kind of like burnt raisins or something. I don't use it much.

thanks for the tip regarding flaked adjuncts. I'll definitely look into that.
i wanted to get a few different malts in there so i could get a varied flavour. maybe i'm trying to get too over complicate things.

Back