My first attempt at an NEIPA. Critiques, please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffy5018

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've attached the recipe below. Any expert opinions or advice is appreciated. I'm not sure which yeast to use. I can go the standard NEIPA route and use an English strain, but I know the Aloha Sculpin is brewed with Brux Trois yeast, and that yeast is super yummy. I also found a clone for the ever-inspiring Julius from Treehouse that uses some crazy yeast combo, but I'm not sure I want to venture down that road on my first NEIPA. Also, I used Amarillo because I love that hop (and I have about 10oz still sitting in my freezer), Citra because I feel like that's just a no brainer, and Mosaic as a dry hop because I love the aroma/flavor of that one, as well. I've never used them together, especially in the amounts, so if anyone has any experience with this combo and it sucks, please, let me know.

Thanks, all!!!

NEIPA(1st Timer)
Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.2 %
Bitterness: 101.6 IBUs (Perceived ~70)
Est Color: 5.6 SRM
=====================
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
=====================
Date: 13 Aug 2018
Efficiency: 72.00 %
=====================
Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU Volume

6 lbs 4.0 oz Pale Malt, 2-Row (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) Grain 4 48.1 % 0.49 gal
4 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Ale, Golden Promise®™ (Simpsons) (2.5 SRM) Grain 5 36.5 % 0.37 gal
1 lbs 4.0 oz Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 6 9.6 % 0.10 gal
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 7 3.8 % 0.04 gal
4.0 oz Dextrose (Briess) [Boil] (1.0 SRM) Sugar 11 1.9 % 0.02 gal
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 12 46.9 IBUs -
1.00 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 13.7 IBUs -
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 17.9 IBUs -
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min, 180.4 F Hop 15 9.6 IBUs -
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 30.0 min, 180.4 F Hop 16 12.6 IBUs -
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 120.4 F Hop 17 0.4 IBUs -
1.50 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 15.0 min, 120.4 F Hop 18 0.5 IBUs -
1.00 oz Cryo - Citra [25.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 19 0.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Cryo - Mosaic [22.00 %] - Dry Hop 8.0 Days Hop 20 0.0 IBUs -
1.00 oz Cryo - Citra [25.00 %] - Dry Hop 5.0 Days Hop 21 0.0 IBUs -
1.50 oz Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 4.0 Days Hop 22 0.0 IBUs -

I would say that’s WAY too much boil hops. Most of mine are more like 10-15 IBUs of boil hops max. Plenty of NEIPAs have nothing until flameout. Other than that, maybe ease off the carafoam, but looks pretty good. The Trois should be nice there — I’m planning a NEIPA with a bunch of flaked rye and Trois yeast.

Your IBU's are way too high. NEIPA isn't really a style per se and I suppose anything is possible. Not sure I would use Amarillo as your bittering hop. Why not use Columbus or a neutral hop like Warrior or magnum?

I've never really seen a NEIPA recipe that didn't have wheat and flaked grains. But again I'm sure if will be good, probably not hazy and may not have the same mouthfeel as a NEIPA, like the recipe from Braufessor.

Cyro hops-- never used them but I've heard they are potent. Should make for a great brew. I would change up your grain bill a bit and brew on.

Cheers.

From what I have seen in NEIPAs, they have less bitterness than other IPAs. So I would back off on the bittering. But then again NEIPAs are the only style of beer that I can't find a commercial version that I even like. And I have tried almost every style.

The Amarillo for bittering is simply because I have it already in hand. But I can easily go with Columbus (was my original intent until I realized how much Amarillo I had on hand). I also meant to update that on Carafoam to 1lb (I was tinkering while at work, and forgot to update that). I'm new to cryo hops, too, but I'm kind of worried about my beer tasting like a bag of week old grass clippings from sitting on nearly a pound of hops, so I went with the cryo due to it having less vegetal make-up.

I'm trying to steer clear of flaked grains because I want the haze to come from hop/chill haze. I've seen a few recipes (the Julius clone being one of them) that have accomplished that. And the Carafoam should add the mouthfeel I'd be losing from the flaked wheat/oats.

I’d drop the aromatic to 4oz, Carafoam to 1lb.

Golden Promise is a super low protein malt so you might lose a little haze stability compared to all 2 row but should be fine.

The best “NEIPAs” don’t use flaked adjuncts, they’re not necessary.

I’d bitter with something other than Amarillo. It’s not a great Hop for 90/60 minute additions. Really you only need .25oz at 60 then use everything else at 5 or less. I’m not a huge fan of stupid big Whirlpool additions, you get way more impact from using those hops for DHing.

Don’t bother dry hopping during fermentation until you’re 1-1.5* Plato from Terminal. You’ll end up with muddy Hop character and you’ll just lose aromatics and impact from blow off and yeast flocculation.

Cryo is unique. It is much more resinous than the traditional T-90 pellet version of the same Hop. When in suspension it can also create some really insane hop burn. I’d use the cryo in the WP at lower temps (sub 175) and maybe a touch in the DH. Use more pellets for the DH and if you’re using a carboy just do one DH addition. Personally I’d wait until you’ve reached terminal to DH. There is still plenty of yeast in suspension for O2 scrubbing and the DH addition will create additional fermentation on it’s own (especially with Amarillo and Mosaic)

As far as Sacch Trois goes... its a weird yeast and I think rather hard to work with. It’s fruity for sure but I also get some odd funk from it. It doesn’t flocc at all.

Personally I’d stick with a yeast strain you know better. LAIII or 1272 are great.

If you’re good at minimizing O2 a little cold storage period will do a heavily hopped beer like this wonders. You’ll get a much smoother/softer beer in the end.

Back