My first sour. Any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibbyGibson

Reaction score
I'm picking up supplies within the next 2 hours. I'm going to make a saison base with extract and steeping grains. Letting it ferment with a farmhouse yeast then adding Brett once I rack to the secondary. I'm adding oak chips and most likely raspberries.

I guess my question is, what things should I look for/prepare for? I'm planning on 1 yr worth of fermenting in a glass carboy. Any and all recommendations are welcomed. Thanks!

Make sure your airlock doesn't dry out!

After about a month or so in secondary, I swapped the airlock for a solid bung. I did loosen it every couple months to let out any pressure, but after one or two of those cycles, there really wasn't any to speak of. There isn't a lot of CO2 being built up in there after the primary is over, and the brett starts working.

If you want it to be sour you'll have to add lacto or pedio. Brett will give you funk but it doesn't produce much acid.

this. you need bacteria to make a sour. your plan of brett + raspberries should turn out a bit tart tho if that's all you're looking for. if you're just doing brett you definitely don't need to give it a year either, 3-6 months should be plenty of time before packaging

I had read about putting multiple strains in. I was contemplating putting pedio in also. But I am still learning so I might just see what Brett does by itself. I'm assuming this might lengthen the process a bit from the 3-6 month range if I add pedio?

Back