My first smoke, with recipe and pics!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philrose

Reaction score
Today was a summer overload for us here in Seattle. I took advantage of a day off by taking some leftovers and smoking for the first time on my trusty weber.

Here's what it looked like. I have never made BBQ before, so there could be faults in the process. I researched how to do this for a grand total of 10 minutes before I jumped in...
A0ZRDmqCUAE3OYC.jpg:large

The last piece resting on the grate as I clean...doesn't illustrate the process much...does, however, make the mouth water.

The Meat
A Washington Spring Chicken,
  1. portioned out into thigh+legs, Wings and Drumettes. (breasts had already been consumed I like thigh better anyway)
  2. Brined for 3 hours in a quart of water laced with 5 oz each of brown sugar and salt
  3. air dried over a rack on a box fan

The Rub
My standard grilled Chicken and Pork rub

The Sauce
A kitchen sink. Homemade, of course. I might be leaving something out, as I was just adding a bit of this and a bit of that until I had the taste I wanted. This list is not in any particular order.
  1. Dijon
  2. Sweet and Sour mix
  3. Apple Cider Vinegar
  4. Blackstrap molasses
  5. Brown Sugar ('cause I wasn't happy with the molasses)
  6. Fresh picked Blackberries, crushed and strained
  7. Tapatio
  8. Harissa
  9. ground and toasted cumin
  10. Worcestershire
  11. Ground fennel seed
  12. Powdered Ginger
  13. Alderwood Smoked Salt
  14. Chili Powder

The Smoke
  1. Applewood chips, soaked for an hour or so, set on top of...
  2. About 25 charcoal briquettes, lit on a chimney
  3. A 13x9 baking pan, set dead center on the lower rack of the weber, with about a quart of hot water. The above coals were on both sides of the pan
  4. about 10 extra briquettes, also ready to light on the chimney, in case the fire is too low

From there, I set the chicken on the grate above the water pan (along with an acorn squash for SWMBO), shut the vent on the bottom of the grill, cracked the top grate just a bit to accommodate an oven thermometer. I aimed for 225 degrees on the display, with the thought that the cooking surface would be something like 10 to 20 degrees hotter than that. I had some swings, but it acceptably constant.

I watched for smoke, and about 80 minutes into the ordeal I added the 10ish extra hot coals and some more apple wood. I brushed the sauce on the meat in 15 minute increments, starting from that same 80 minute mark, turning the chicken each time I mopped. total time on the smoke was about 2 hours and 15 minutes. I judged by looking at the meat separating from the bones as well as taking some internal temps with an instant read.

I usually avoid chicken at BBQ pits, but the combination of the brine and the water pan made for a tender and moist bird. Effing Delicious. You should try doing this if you, like I was, are looking to step up your grill session. If I can do it, you can too.

Some Homebrew will lubricate the process. It also didn't hurt that King Felix was pitching a PERFECT GAME on the radio at the same time.

You like thigh more than the breast...I don't know about you man :)

Looks good. If you get a chance try Alton Browns orange juice brine, its my go-to for chicken, absolutely amazing. I brine it, cook it up on my BGE, and then serve with sauce on the side. Any reason to do it at 225? I usually cook my chicken at 325 and leave the low and slow for pork and beef.

I think I got the idea in my mind from a pork recipe in passing sometime, I was really happy with the results, just had the last piece for lunch.

Good smoke flavor and the texture of the meat was excellent.

Back