My first post - Question about bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBooze

Reaction score
I'm a noob and getting ready to brew my first batch next week. I'm drinking a bunch of different beers, and keeping the bottles for bottling my brew. I bought a six pack of Guinness Draught bottles, which I normally have only gotten at a bar from the tap. These bottles have a "widget" in them, that I guess is supposed to give them an authentic taste. Are these bottles OK to use for my own bottling? The widget will not come out, so as long as I clean and sanitize the bottle, can I use it? Will the widget affect my beer in a bad way? What exactly does it do? Thanks.

I think the widget has something to do with nitro-carbonation, but I'm not sure. You need to be able to clean and sanitize your bottles, so I would think that anything inside the bottle (like the widget) would be something to be avoided.

You can get bottles from your local bar (no twist-offs) and recycling center, too.

Good luck with your first batch! Salud,

Jim

You can remove the widget with a needle nosed pliers; the labels are plastic and can be cut off.

i dunno...

58822431_bd0ffa6b43.jpg

stranger things have been found floating in homebrew...:ban:

+1 on pliers. The widget is a small nitrogen container that Guinness uses to produce a finer head with smaller bubbles, much like you'd get on tap.

I love Guinness. I love the beer, I love the shape of the bottles, I love how easy it is to get the labels off. No long soak, no scrub, just cut the plastic label right off. Just turn that bottle upside down, give it a quick shake to pull the widget into the neck, and yank it out with needle nose pliers.

I'm a noob and getting ready to brew my first batch next week. I'm drinking a bunch of different beers, and keeping the bottles for bottling my brew. I bought a six pack of Guinness Draught bottles, which I normally have only gotten at a bar from the tap. These bottles have a "widget" in them, that I guess is supposed to give them an authentic taste. Are these bottles OK to use for my own bottling? The widget will not come out, so as long as I clean and sanitize the bottle, can I use it? Will the widget affect my beer in a bad way? What exactly does it do? Thanks.

I've got plenty of guinness bottles, and I didn't have any trouble getting the nitrogen widget out. I rinse the bottles out, and then turn them upside down and shake until I can see the widget poking into the neck. Then, take a pair of needle-nose pliers, and grab it. After a couple of tries, you'll get the hang of it, and it'll only take a few seconds to get each widget out.

You don't want to leave them in the bottle and risk any contamination.

Cool....Thanks. After finishing the beer, I see the thin plastic tabs that are holding it in. Should be no problem to remove.

I love those bottles, but I'm not a big fan of Guinness. I love that you can peel off the plastic label and pull the wedgie out and your' good to go. No soaking to get the label off and the bottles have a such sexy shape! Curves like a woman! SO nice to hold in your hand...

Back