My first Mead - Advice from the Pro's Welcome

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harritchate

Reaction score
Hello All -Today I made my first Mead and wished I had heard about this forum much earlier. My recipe is as follows (found on another website) and I highly welcome your critiques and whatever knowledge you can pass along. THANKS - Ben

5 Gallon Batch

7 Lbs Honey
- I used 3lb Orange Blossom 2lb Wildflower and 2lb Clover
2 Lbs Dextrose
Juice of 9 Fresh Lemons
Zest from 4 Lemons
Handful of Raisins
Champagne Yeast

OG came out to 1.054

I plan on bottling in 12oz and 22oz Beer bottles. I was hoping to be higher in OG to make a medium sweet sparkling Mead at about 8-9%ABV. Looks like I will be going to a FG of 1.000 and end up on the dry side. I'm still learning about back sweetening as I am new to brewing in general. What are your thoughts.... THANKS ALL

I would have added another pound or 2 of honey for med-sweet, but I like the flavored varietal combination you have. Seems solid enough recipe to me. Back sweetening has no real tricks, you should be able to pull it off ok. Good Luck!!

Back sweetening to a medium sweet level does indeed need a few tricks.

Any kind of sweetness and carbonation isn't as straight forward as it might sound.

I'll leave it in the air for you to have a read to see if you follow what I'm alluding to......

Thanks. I'm sure I won't be messing with this too much. I certainly don't want to put 2 cases of bombs in my fridge. I will read some more on sweetening, but I understand I can use Splenda without risk of bursting...right..?

Thanks. I'm sure I won't be messing with this too much. I certainly don't want to put 2 cases of bombs in my fridge. I will read some more on sweetening, but I understand I can use Splenda without risk of bursting...right..?
Yes that is one of the non-fermentable sweeteners some use, but others don't as they say they can taste it in the brew.

Apparently, Xylitol is supposed to be good as it is said to provide a neutral, sugar-like sweetness. I haven't tried it yet as I like to stabilise my batches then I can use honey......

Hopefully this picture works, but heres a picture of the Meade in the carboy, fermenting pretty good with one bubble every 4 seconds or so. and it is very active... The lemon zest is dancing everywhere.

558018_10151429249598251_1153395600_n.jpg

Back