My first infection ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletcher21

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390076851.330477.jpg

Well it looks like I finally got my first infected beer ever. I've done about 20 plus batches and have yet to have an issue.

So my question is if it's really worth keeping. I know folks have said to rack it and see but do they ever turn out good? I don't want something I'm not gonna like to drink.

subbed just to see what people have to say. I haven't encountered an infection yet but I would have the same question if a batch of my beer did end up with one.

I had a small infection in my first brew. I had mold growing on the top of my IPA. I treated it like cheese. I siphoned off the beer into a bottling bucket and left the layer with the mold in the carboy. It turned out great. I would recommend doing the same thing. leave the infection in the carboy and bottle what is beneath it.

I'd keep it in the carboy just as it is and put it in a dark, out-of-the-way place for a year.

If you can afford it, pickup another carboy and keep brewing as usual. You turn that mistake into something tart and delicious. I hate throwing away beer, so I'd take every measure possible to avoid it.

Don't rack it, you'll just be infecting your siphon equipment.

Do you like sour beers? If you do and can spare the carboy, I'd do what mrphillips suggests and put it away for a year. Don't even taste it until then.

Otherwise, I would dump unless you're willing to dedicate a set of equipment (siphon, bottling) entirely to sour beers.

So sorry to here about this!

Chances are, the infection or "virus" might have come from improper sanitizing practices.

The manual that came with my kit stresses that proper sanitizing be maintained and that it is very crucial in the success of making a perfectly brewed batch of beer.

I was like walking on egg shells, hoping and praying that everything goes well with my first batch, but I think now, the most crucial part of me getting my first batch made is behind me now. :mug: :ban:

So here's what I did...

I racked it into an older plastic Carboy I have that is still good but I usually use my glass ones now. I threw some potassium sorbate on it as well as I typically force carb anyways. Thus far it tasted fine but I am gonna give it a week if it grows skin again then it's gone. If not I will keg it and let it sit.

As far as racking gear I am tossing it all out and starting new. That is the only place I can think of that this started from. I am meticulous at sanitizing and go well beyond what is needed. I racked this into a secondary to free up my 6 1/2 gallon primary and that is when it happened. I will keep you posted.

I have never had an infection, but know people that have successfully enjoyed the beer beneath an infected surface layer. It really depends on what the infection actually is. Some critters stay on the surface and don't drop detectable unpleasant byproducts into the beer. You could easily get lucky. There aren't any bugs we know of yet that will grow in beer and kill you.

As an aside, it won't be a virus - they live inside other cells.

In addition to proper sanitizing, whether I'm making beer or not, I keep the lid and the vent cover tightly on the fermenter so that no flies, insects or other univited guests get into the unit.

I hope that this never happens to me, but you can never be too careful!

Back