My first 'does this look right' thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikegee

Reaction score
So I did my second all grain brew a week ago and it definitely went smoother than my first. The only thing I'm worried about was the yeast when I added it. It's a pale ale again and the first time I did it my krausen looked like little islands of silt. This time its very foamy. I just wondered if this is how its supposed to look then it solidifies? Temp control this time has been easier and its been at a steady 20 degree c for a week now.

I tried to hold out but I don't want to spend another two weeks and have it be a waste of time. So any help people can give I'll be very grateful.

ForumRunner_20121017_180903.jpg

No two krausens will look the same, even from the same yeast. Since you have it in bucket, I recommend waiting three weeks before you even peek inside and you'll never knew a krausen existed, except for the residual on the side. But yes, it looks fine, the yeast are just breathing.

Normal. Don't look at your beer! Leave it alone for at least two weeks (for now), then crack it just to see if krausen has fallen. If so, take gravity. Otherwise, seal er up quick and wait longer!

So I did my second all grain brew a week ago and it definitely went smoother than my first. The only thing I'm worried about was the yeast when I added it. It's a pale ale again and the first time I did it my krausen looked like little islands of silt. This time its very foamy. I just wondered if this is how its supposed to look then it solidifies? Temp control this time has been easier and its been at a steady 20 degree c for a week now.

I tried to hold out but I don't want to spend another two weeks and have it be a waste of time. So any help people can give I'll be very grateful.

There's not a person on here that knows what they're doing that would tell you to dump it before fermentation is done, or even before you bottle/keg it for that matter. Even if it did look like something is wrong, 99.9999999999999999999% of the time you will get the response: WAIT first, then RDWHAHB.

Nothing wrong with asking, but don't expect someone to tell you to go ahead and dump it. So either way, you're going to wait at least another two weeks.

Cheers guys. Its going into secondary as well this one as I want to do my first bit of dry hopping so that'll give it a bit more time to clear up as well.

Make sure it's completely finished fermenting before transferring to secondary. If you transfer it too soon, you may not attenuate enough.

Yup just like everyone said, it looks great.

Nothing wrong with racking to secondary to clear and dry hop. The few times I have dry hopped I just threw the hops in a sanitized bag and threw it in primary. Let it sit for a week and it was great. The extra week will let more stuff settled to the bottom. It is one less thing to clean lol

Ive always wondered if you could mount a "spy camera" in a grommet and peek at the fermentation that way.

Back