My first Chocolatey Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceantendency

Reaction score
I usual only have a stout from time to time, so I wanted to create some with Coffee, Choc, malty notes, medium bodied, and fairly crisp, but not too dry, so here it is.
8lbs- Maris Otter
14oz - Roasted Barley
16oz- Choc Malt
8oz- Rolled Old Fashion Oats (rested at 140* for 20 min before adding to mash)
12oz - Crystal 60*L
4oz- CaraPils
8oz Maltodextrin
1.5oz- Fuggles @60min
.5oz Fuggles @ 20min
.5oz- Mt Hood @ 10 min
.5oz- Sweet orange peel
Irish Moss
Yeast: Captured and regrown from an Imperial Stout (Iron Fist-Velvet Glove bottles)
Single Temp @ 155*- 70 min (@5.1 gallons)
20 min Batch Sparge (2.5 gallons)
75 min boil
OG= 1.0595ish pitched at 70* @ 19:30PST, currently at 67*
FG target will be @ 1.022

Question: should I keep it between 66-68*, or should I raise closer to 70* ? Gonna let this baby sit in the primary for atleast 3-4 weeks (even if it's done) and thinking of adding cocoa nibs in the secondary for another 2 weeks.

Prelminary Tasting notes: Coffe/Toffee/Chocolate/ balanced and smooth/ nice subtle hop aroma-earthy and clean, and body about in the medium range that I was hoping for. So I guess so far so good, can't wait to see the change after aging. Kraussen is already nicely formed and bubbling away steady as of 0545PST.

I think the medium body you were going for is out the window with all that roasted malt and then carapils and maltodextrine. Its doesn't matter what temp you mash those at they will not ferment down. I brew something similar but I drop the maltodextrine, carapils, and add lactose. I have never made it down to expected final gravity of 1.017 that beersmith says, I have never gotten below 1.025, FYI.

My Founder's Breakfast Stout clone (Chocolate/Oatmeal/Coffee stout) was mashed at 152 and didn't get below 1.025 either. Oats, maltodextrine, carapils, this is what they do! :)

Ok, I wanted to say I wanted a medium body in regards to the area of stouts. I know stouts would never be a lighter bodied beer. I did a 20 min rest on the oats before adding to the mash which def broke those beta amylases down more, which should help as compared to the mouthfeel that I normally get with an Oatmeal stout.. When I did my Old Ale, I used the same amount of Maltodextrin and it got down to about .018. I also didn't want to use anymore than the 4oz of Carapils.

Even in those little amounts and the rest for the oats and the big starter I made you really think it won't make it near .022 (that's extremely close .025), so ya'll think 3 pts higher?

It might. The FBS recipe I mentioned had an OG of 1.082 so I don't in any way want it to seem like it'll be the same.. more so just to not be surprised or disappointed if it comes out higher than 1.022.

I think the gravity talk might just be an unnecessary sideline anyways. I think the recipe looks good!

Transferred to a secondary last night for cleaning up a bit and based on the strong coffee/toffee notes, less on the chocolatey notes. Def need to add some Cocoa Nibs, which I'll be picking up soon, gonna let this baby age for a few weeks. Gravity check was at 1.023, wow I hit my dang Target and still going slightly so I should hit another point maybe 2 when all said and done. Not bad for my first Stout.

Gotta say though compared to everything else I've brewed, you don't realize how nasty the primary is til it's drained. I washed the yeast out, let settle, and poured in one of my Masons and let settle only to decide..gonna just get new yeast next time around since I don't drink enough Stouts and how nasty it still was. This one is good so far, so maybe I'll change my mind after I finish off this batch.

Kegged in my 3gal ball lock and 750mL bottles on Saturday. Coffee notes have lessened but still present. Gravity at .022. I experimented with some Vanilla extract and a hint of almond extract, tasted pretty dang good already. Will post a pic in a few days from the keg.

It might. The FBS recipe I mentioned had an OG of 1.082 so I don't in any way want it to seem like it'll be the same.. more so just to not be surprised or disappointed if it comes out higher than 1.022.

I think the gravity talk might just be an unnecessary sideline anyways. I think the recipe looks good!

Any chance you would be willing to post the recipe (if all grain)? If so, how did it turn out/what might you change next time you brew it?

Thanks, I love Founders Breakfast Stout and didn't really think about attempting a clone until I read your post.

To be honest I love it. Maybe a couple ounces less on Chocolate and Roasted Barley and instead just some Cocoa Nibs and about 50mL of Kaluha and also def add 2 more ounces of oatmeal as an experiment. On tap it's great with just the almond and vanilla extract I added. Gonna wait for a few months before trying any on bottle.

20131226_130001.jpg

8oz- Rolled Old Fashion Oats (rested at 140* for 20 min before adding to mash)

Ok, I wanted to say I wanted a medium body in regards to the area of stouts. I know stouts would never be a lighter bodied beer. I did a 20 min rest on the oats before adding to the mash which def broke those beta amylases down more, which should help as compared to the mouthfeel that I normally get with an Oatmeal stout.. When I did my Old Ale, I used the same amount of Maltodextrin and it got down to about .018. I also didn't want to use anymore than the 4oz of Carapils.

Even in those little amounts and the rest for the oats and the big starter I made you really think it won't make it near .022 (that's extremely close .025), so ya'll think 3 pts higher?

I am making an oatmeal stout for the first time in a couple days. Would you mind explaining the process i would need to do the rest at 140 please? i am just not sure and have never done this.

Thanks!

Please see above

I think he was speking to the guy that talked about the founders clone. :mug:

I put the oats in a muslin bag, added to a pot of 140*F water on the stove for 20 minutes, drained off the water and dumped the oats into the mash. Or you could ditch the muslin bag and just strain out. I got the idea out of 5he Brewmaster's Bible.

Back