My first build UK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJ

Reaction score
Hi all
I thought I would start my ow thread off as without realising I was starting to hijack other threads with my pics. I never really meant to start this as I've only done 4 batches of coopers kits in plastic buckets (which turned out ok). Was looking to buy a micro brewery on eBay and was asking about for some advice, I saw a build in process and was inspired by the shininess of it all. So with some cracking advice (u no who u r) I decided to crack on with my own. Kettles and pots are not as easy and as shiny in the UK as in the US but never mind. I ordered some 20gal pots and bits n bobs the started cracking with my HERMS build. Started with the electrical control box (simplified), ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394234499.115436.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394234518.026357.jpg
Ended up adding a few extras!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394234627.219226.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394234809.983540.jpg
Wiring ended up a little messy because of the changes but never mind. The kettles were massive (I thought) when they came, my 5 year old lad was hiding in one but I soon got over the shock and now I love them. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394235020.672551.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394235189.073972.jpg
I started to fit all the lever valves coping off some really good builds on here, UK isn't as good as US for parts do granted it not as shiny but hopefully it's gona work. Fixed all the hoses up and elements but had a few leaks as I've cut corners instead of using tank connectors I've fixed the valves straight to the pots, a little high temp silicone has sorted that problem (I hope ) so now is all good. Got the MLT running now to make sure it gets to temp ok with water then going to giv it a full run tomoz with just water to make sure everything's spot on. For dome reason I can't upload any more pics so will add some later , cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394264181.410174.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1394264193.572001.jpg
Got the pumps fitted and the hoses, ready for the wiring today, fitting the control box and wiring the probes and other element. The elements I got are 3kw and it took 2 hours the heat 80l of water to 65deg, bit concerned on how long it will take to boil, gona do a water run hopefully over the weekend and see, got a spare element to still in BK if it's no good.

Yes but I've now realised they have to be fitted flat so have them mounted in the unit underneath, worked out well because I can shut all the hoses away wen I'm not brewing

Done my first brew last night, system works a treat, miscalculated amount of sparge water needed, should have collected more in the BK because I never realised how much the hops absorb and how much was left over. My big mistake was I took a sample straight off the plate chiller checked to OG it was 1052, was aiming for 1050, so was buzzin with that, never checked the OG of the full first 5 gal, then I only collected 3 gal in my second bin, had 10.5 gal in Bk, kicking me sel for not checking gravity, should have topped up with water fro HLT to get the 1050 would have had more beers aswell, never mind I'll not make that mistake again. Buzzin with the first brew tho, just gona keg the 5 gal and bottle the rest and see how it turns out

Back