My first brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
Just finished the first fermentation of my beer. I used the Coopers kit, my OG is 1040. We shall see what she looks like in two weeks :).

Good luck! My first batch I'm 14ish years is in the primary too! I used a true brew kit (Porter) as that's what I was familiar with. Next batch will be a non kit extract or partial mash as I want to get into all grain. Just not set up for it yet.

I am not sure about the light, but you may want to cover that container with a towel or something. Light breaks down the hops in beer. That's why green beer bottles aren't good beer bottles. Congrats on your first batch!

I am not sure about the light, but you may want to cover that container with a towel or something. Light breaks down the hops in beer. That's why green beer bottles aren't good beer bottles. Congrats on your first batch!

I went ahead and took your advice and covered it with a zip up sweater. Also heres a picture of the airlock. It has not started to bubble but almost all the water has been pushed from one side to the other. Any reason why?

That's the exact same setup I have been using for a long time except I have the taller 30L tank. You will be very happy with that kit. :) I have brewed every single batch in a well-lit kitchen also and have never had problems with off-tastes. Just don't put it out in the sunlight and you're good. No need for a sweater. Your tank is your friend, but don't anthropomorphize the damn thing!

If the airlock stays like that and doesn't bubble after a few days, check to make sure your top is screwed on tight and the airlock is securely inserted - you may have an air leak. Get a reading, stir it, and get another reading 24 hours later. Don't worry about it not bubbling as the only real indicator is changes in gravity. If your gravity stays the same over 2-3 days you might need to repitch the yeast, possible bad/expired sachet that came with the kit.

Latest posts

Back