Density decreases but no bubbles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcorna

Reaction score
Hi,

Reaching out to the community for a brew we made last Sunday.

At the end of the brewing, we diluted the yeast in slightly warm water before adding it to the fermentation bucket. We also added sugar (17 g/l) as per the recipe in the brew kit we bought.

Here are pictures of density measures taken on Sunday, Tuesday and today (Friday). It looks like something is happening but there is no gas coming out of the bubbler since Sunday… Even though we stirred the bucket (without opening) several times.

Shall we add more yeast, leave it like that, add sugar, …?

Opinions appreciated :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2390.jpeg
    IMG_2390.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 2d5a0fe8-0cf6-406a-b43c-dc719fa6e943.jpeg
    2d5a0fe8-0cf6-406a-b43c-dc719fa6e943.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • e36d0ed1-834e-47e5-a6c5-4654f2d5085f.jpeg
    e36d0ed1-834e-47e5-a6c5-4654f2d5085f.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 0
Here are pictures of density measures taken on Sunday, Tuesday and today (Friday). It looks like something is happening but there is no gas coming out of the bubbler since Sunday… Even though we stirred the bucket (without opening) several times.
Yes, something is happening. Your bucket lid is leaking the CO2 around the lid so none of it is escaping through the bubbler. No problem, your brew has its gravity falling so the yeast are eating the sugars and turning them into alcohol. Ignore it for another week or 2, take a couple gravity readings then to ensure the fermentation has ended, then bottle it. Give it another 3 weeks in the bottle for conditioning and start enjoying it.

Just to add some reassuring support. If it's SG is falling, then it's fermenting. Might even all be over. Is it at the expected FG yet?

The actual fermenting doesn't usually take very long if you pitch a large and healthy amount of yeast. However it still needs the additional days in the FV even if the fermentation is over. Yeast don't die or go dormant immediately after making alcohol. They do other things.

3-4 days after pitch would not be considered unusual for a beer to reach FG. At least not the beers I've done this last year or so.

Oh, pics now.

Looks like its done fermenting or about to be. Now you just need to leave it alone till all that stuff making it murkey falls out of suspension. That might be 10 days from now, 3 weeks from now or even 6 weeks from now. Maybe longer.

You can rush it if you are in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks for those reassuring comments. I was indeed hoping that nothing bad was happening. Especially that I used my home grown hops and it would have been a pity to go to the drain…
IMG_2382.jpeg

12B4E467-3C1C-4200-883A-F0979D8256AC.jpeg

I had the same issue. As mentioned, the bubbler is leaking. What I did was take a piece of plastic bag (like from a grocery store, cut it larger than your carboys opening and make a smaller hole for the bubbler to go through. Essentially using the piece of plastic as a gasket.

Back