My first brew is ready

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoc

Reaction score
My first batch was from a kit that came as part of a home brew starter pack.

The kit was Mangrove Jacks Munich Lager and I made it with the enhancer pack that also came in the starter kit.

I now sit at my desk with a bottle and a glass so here goes!

The bottle opens with a small fizz and I pour it out.

It is very clear and looks good as I pour it out but I do detect a couple of problems:

1) Clearly not enough carbonation. A few bubbles but no trace of a head forming.

2) My glass is not large enough. I cannot pour the whole bottle out in one go and in the process of putting the bottle down, taking a few mouthfuls and topping up, I have disturbed the sediment at the bottom of the bottle and the rest is a little cloudy.

OK, but what does it taste like?

Well, it needs more carbonation but other than that, I am happy.

It is better than any of the commercial stuff that I have been buying here in NZ - though of course, my judgment may be partisan.

If I were to compare it to the beer that I used to drink when I lived in Munich, I would say that it was like a simple Paulaner Helles though with a slightly fuller body.

Perhaps two weeks in my pantry was not enough for bottle carbonation. I guess that I will find out over the next couple of weeks as I work through the rest of the batch.

How do you clean your glasses? It might help a little to clean your glass with star san or other sanitizer before using for your brew. You can tell glasses washed with soap if the the beer in it accumulates bubbles on the sides of the glass and poor head retention.

Hope that helps a little, Cheers on the first brew!

Also, a longer chill will help the CO2 dissolve into the beer from the head space and will improve carbonation.

I bet in another couple weeks carbonation will improve. My first batch took a month before it even started to carb up. Higher gravity beers take longer. Storing it in a nice warm room will speed things up too.

2 weeks in a pantry is hardly any time for carbonation to occur. 3 weeks at 70 is the average minimum for most beers of an average gravity. Get them warm and give them time.

Thanks guys, I just needed patience.

Even a couple of days made a big difference.

Most of the CO2 that's relaxing in the head space of the bottle will absorb into the solution if you give it 3-4 days in the fidge at 34-40ish. The short lasting head you are describing is a whole lotta CO2 in the headspace, but very little dissolved into the solution, so you just need to cool those puppies down for a few day!

Back